🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Christmas dinner - I want it to be stress free!!!

Options
So I'm thinking of ways to make this Christmas as stress free as possible, even if it means paying a little bit more for the privilege. My daughter's birthday is at Christmas, which I think adds to it all, even though its always double the fun in the end.

I'll be ordering all pressies online before 30th November and grottos have already been booked but my main concern is Christmas dinner. Is there anywhere that provides a nice succulent roast already done up with spices, pigs in blankets, stuffing, etc and all I have to do is literally pop it in the oven? I'm happy to do the gravy. I've discovered a place that does this with large fleshy fish and it tastes amazing but we want turkey or chicken in addition.

Or maybe a company that would come out on Christmas day, have everything already cooked and lay it out on the table? Its just our immediate family plus in-laws flying in from abroad so we can't and don't expect them to help out.

Please help! We're in Essex but maybe online ordering if we can't collect?

Coming back to reality...if I have to do it all myself, all over again, who do you think does the best turkey? Is Waitrose any better than Sainsburys, for example?
The reason people don't move right down inside the carriage is that there's nothing to hold onto when you're in the middle.

Comments

• Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    M and S will do a prepared turkey/turkey crown and all the trimmings. You can order everything online and pick up from the nearest store to you a few days before Christmas Day.

We've done this a couple of times when I've either been very heavily pregnant or had a newborn over the Christmas period and it was literally a question of unwrapping and putting stuff in the oven at the right time and it all tasted great.

You can also get chefs to come and cook your meal for you and if you google you will find some companies offering this service but you may have left it a bit late to organise this and it is a much more expensive option
  • Milky_Mocha
    Options
    Nicki wrote: »
    M and S will do a prepared turkey/turkey crown and all the trimmings. You can order everything online and pick up from the nearest store to you a few days before Christmas Day.

We've done this a couple of times when I've either been very heavily pregnant or had a newborn over the Christmas period and it was literally a question of unwrapping and putting stuff in the oven at the right time and it all tasted great.

You can also get chefs to come and cook your meal for you and if you google you will find some companies offering this service but you may have left it a bit late to organise this and it is a much more expensive option

Thank you so much. I'll google and see but actually the M&S service sounds like what we need. I'll check it out now!
    The reason people don't move right down inside the carriage is that there's nothing to hold onto when you're in the middle.
  • Milky_Mocha
    Options
    Nicki wrote: »

Sorry to come back with yet another question but....M&S have so many types of Turkey. Which have you found to be the most succulent in your opinion? There is Devonshire bronze, British free range white, free range Pembrokeshire bronze, organic Pembrokeshire bronze. Thanks!
  • Kaye1
    Kaye1 Posts: 538 Forumite
    Options
    OH is a chef and there are places who hire out chefs for Christmas Day but it will cost you an absolute fortune.

Abel and Cole do an 'all in one' package.
  • ibizafan_2
    Options
    Although we are going out for Christmas lunch this year, I have been using M&S turkey crowns for many years. Not the cheapest, but really good. Just pick whichever suits you best depending on how many you are feeding. Their turkey gravy is also good. You could go the whole hog and buy all the veg etc from them as well. I've always done my own but veg is easy anyway. You can buy goose fat potatoes ready to roast in the oven which I've often done. Makes for a nice relaxing day, although I only cook for up to four people so it doesn't work out too expensive to use ready to cook food.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to come back with yet another question but....M&S have so many types of Turkey. Which have you found to be the most succulent in your opinion? There is Devonshire bronze, British free range white, free range Pembrokeshire bronze, organic Pembrokeshire bronze. Thanks!

The whole, deboned Turkey @ £65. It cooks much quicker than a regular turkey, carves easily because it's boneless, doesn't dry out and (importantly) doesn't take up anywhere near as much space in the oven as it is quite flat. Definitely don't waste time making gravy! The M&S one is very good and they have also added a "luxury" one this year. The luxury garnish pack is good too.

I've done the cheating M&S Christmas dinner for years and it really does make it hassle-free - most things in foil trays (no washing up!) So just shove in the oven. Sprouts (in plastic tubs bought in store) go in the microwave. Just leaves me red cabbage, cranberry sauce and bread sauce to make as the store-bought ones aren't a patch on homemade.
  • AubreyMac
    AubreyMac Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use a Jamie Oliver recipe for gravy which you can make in advance (like now) and freeze.

With Turkey, I find bronze the most moist and if you can afford organic then go for it.

When it comes to cooking turkey, I copy my friend and place on a baking tray with rack and then wrap foil all around it. Then put in the oven on a very low heat overnight. No basting needed and it's very easy.

You can make the veggies the day before and re-heat (in a steamer if possible to save on hob space).

The rest like spuds, pigs in blanket can buy a ready to oven types.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sainsbury's do christmas food to order too, I picked the book up in there the other day.

They have a good selection of different prepared turkeys, veg selections, starters, desserts, accompaniments, the lot. Just fill in the order form and pick it up on the day you want.

https://christmasfood.sainsburys.co.uk/?mm_var=xmasd
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • missprice
    missprice Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Am doing a stress free dinner myself. Making use of the slow cooker and lamb shanks.
    Did this 2 weeks ago to check its doable and OK to eat.
    It worked well but I will only be cooking for four.
    You pretty much put everything in slow cooker and leave on low for about 7 hours. So its a faff for 20 mins while you chop and brown then nothing to do until later when my pre prepared ready to oven, bought in a shop pigs in blankets roast parsnip etc need to go in oven.

We don't like turkey, we're fed up of chicken and we did steak last year
    Am on my own most of the day too so wanted to watch TV, take dog out, read etc not slave over a cooker all day to find everyone comes home late and dinner is ruined.
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    M&S food is just the same as everywhere else and if you buy from elsewhere you don't have to pay 3 times the price.. tbh I've found a lot of their food tasting stale.

A local butcher will do you a turkey dressed and stuffed or a turkey crown plus pigs in blankets and a lot will deliver for free now too.

Veggies.. just go to the supermarket and buy ready prepped veg.. chuck in pan or boil in the bag.. easy peasy.

gravy.. make it now when you do a roast and freeze it.

I do Christmas dinner prep the 23rd, cook the dinner on the 24th and we eat sweets and junk and leftovers on Christmas day. Boxing day.. I do a huge run-and-grab and have about 25-30 to cater for. I think this year we are doing Christmas day sweets and nibbles on the 24th Scandinavian style.. dinner Christmas day and the run-and-grab the 26th... which will be prepped the day before.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income