12 hour delay

Options
Advice please on a 12 hour 50 minutes delayed flight from Almeria Spain to Manchester on 4th October 2015. I have used resolver for my case but have had a response from Monarch into my private e-mail address in which they say that there is no compensation as it was "extraordinary circumstances"
In a nutshell the incoming plane landing at Almeria airport hit a bird on its landing approach which apparently knocked oput one of it's landing lights. We were advised that it would be ok to fly with a damaged light if this was not fixed but because it was a bird strike an engineer would have to inspect the plane before clearing it to fly.
Now we accepted this but the problem was that because it was due to depart at 21.45 and the airport closed at 22.45 it was not possible to have an engineer look at it as the nearest engineer was 2 hours away. Therefore we were put up in a hotel about 10 km away with food and drink and returned to the airport the next day around 12 hours 50 minutes later than scheduled.
I have escalated my case through resolver but I'd like your views on my chances.

Comments

• DrA_Harrogate
    Options
    From what you describe (principal elements bird strike, not having an engineer available, knock on delay) you would seem to be in a position where others have won compensation. Read Vauban's guide and search the forum for entries re the three main elements. Do ask further questions once you have done this in the appropriate airline thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure