Options

Comments

• Rosco62
    Rosco62 Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So_Energy wrote: »
    Hello Rosco62

So Energy are available on various third party websites and comparison sites. We are not involved with their own promotions and I would suggest enquiring with them if you seek further clarity of this.

Thanks

Jas

So Energy are available on various third party websites and comparison sites. We are not involved with their own promotions and I would suggest enquiring with them if you seek further clarity of this."

No need to seek further clarity its perfectly clear to me Hoppy are a comparison site on quidco same as Enerylinx,Uswitch,UK Power,Simply Switch etc etc.
    I clicked through them £30 single fuel tracked and with a estimated payment date in May
  • ted501
    ted501 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Joined So Energy March last year via the Big Energy Club. At the time my direct debit was £93 per month with Scottish Power and I had just received notification that it was going to be increased to £102 per month. The quote from So Energy was only £87 per month for a one year contract so at that price I decided to take a chance on a company I had little knowledge of. After three months I received an email with a slight reduction on my payments and a statement saying I had credit in the account that I could have repaid or left in the account, I opted to leave it in the account as I had not expected to receive any cash back.

Earlier this week I received an email offering me a new contract at £69 per month again for one year, I obviously accepted.
    I cannot believe how cheap So Energy are. The website is easy to use and entering my own meter readings are not a problem.
    Thanks to all at MSE for all the work on energy prices. I will post updates for any changes that may occur.
  • So_Energy
    So_Energy Posts: 47 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ted501 wrote: »
    Joined So Energy March last year via the Big Energy Club. At the time my direct debit was £93 per month with Scottish Power and I had just received notification that it was going to be increased to £102 per month. The quote from So Energy was only £87 per month for a one year contract so at that price I decided to take a chance on a company I had little knowledge of. After three months I received an email with a slight reduction on my payments and a statement saying I had credit in the account that I could have repaid or left in the account, I opted to leave it in the account as I had not expected to receive any cash back.

Earlier this week I received an email offering me a new contract at £69 per month again for one year, I obviously accepted.
    I cannot believe how cheap So Energy are. The website is easy to use and entering my own meter readings are not a problem.
    Thanks to all at MSE for all the work on energy prices. I will post updates for any changes that may occur.

Hello Ted501,

Glad to hear your experience is good so far and that you find our website easy to use.

We regularly review our tariff and operate a Low Price Policy to ensure we always offer a competitive tariff.

If you need any assistance you can email us at any time at help@so.energy or give us a call on 0330 111 5050 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm).

Thanks

Jas
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of So Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Dragonfly1
    Options
    So_Energy wrote: »
    Hello Dragonfly1

You can renew your existing tariff when you are in the last 60 days of your contract. If you choose to stay with us then no exit fees (£5 per fuel) will apply as you will be in the last 60 days. If you switch to another supplier, then no exit fees are applied in the last 49 days of your contract.

If you renew with us, then we usually automatically start your new tariff from the date your current tariff ends. However, we can start it sooner if that's what you prefer. This will usually then start from the next billing period.

I would suggest you get in touch with us so that we can explain further and make any necessary changes for you.

You can email us at any time at help@so.energy or give us a call on 0330 111 5050 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm).

Thanks

Jas

Thank you, worked perfectly.
    I've also referred a couple of friends in the last month, earning £40 credit and giving them £40 credit per person. Can't believe the great value all round :)
  • So_Energy
    Options
    Dragonfly1 wrote: »
    Thank you, worked perfectly.
    I've also referred a couple of friends in the last month, earning £40 credit and giving them £40 credit per person. Can't believe the great value all round :)

Hello Dragonfly1,

Glad I could help! :)

Thanks

Jas
    I am the official company representative of So Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • concernedpharmacist
    concernedpharmacist Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 February 2020 at 5:49PM
    Options
    So energy were very good (unlike a number of other providers I have had recently).
    However I am now with Yorkshire (money talks!) and renewing with them for a second year as they have been excellent too!
  • twinkerzzz
    Options
    Been with So for about 3 years - leccy on E7 only - can't say i've had any issues at all.
    Customer service is London based and efficient - easy to communicate.
    There's quite a quick change over on the tariffs but they only offer the current so you go with what's around at the time you want to switch.
    I find the level of control and negotiation good re: managing direct debits - it's not feeling like a racket as it does with some companies.
    Generally they come up at the top cheapest but this year in 2020 they're slipping as other new companies can now offer savings of £100 or more which to me is substantial. However these new companies have all the reported teething issues i can't abide and which you don't get from So.
    So it's a bit of a dilemma if to switch away from them to Yorkshire Energy or GNE or not ...
  • So_Energy
    Options
    Been with So for about 3 years - leccy on E7 only - can't say i've had any issues at all.
    Customer service is London based and efficient - easy to communicate.
    There's quite a quick change over on the tariffs but they only offer the current so you go with what's around at the time you want to switch.
    I find the level of control and negotiation good re: managing direct debits - it's not feeling like a racket as it does with some companies.
    Generally they come up at the top cheapest but this year in 2020 they're slipping as other new companies can now offer savings of £100 or more which to me is substantial. However these new companies have all the reported teething issues i can't abide and which you don't get from So.
    So it's a bit of a dilemma if to switch away from them to Yorkshire Energy or GNE or not ...

Hello Twinkerzzz,

Great to read your feedback and we do appreciate it.

We only have one fixed rate tariff at any time. This is so we can keep things simple for customers and they know that when they sign up, or renew their contract with us, they are getting the best available price at that time. We operate a Low Price Policy to ensure the tariff we offer is always competitive and offers great value for money.  

Our tariffs offer fixed rates for 12 months, with low exit fees (£5 per fuel) when compared to most other suppliers.

I would like to also mention that So Energy is ‘Which recommended provider for 2020'. We also were awarded with the 'Moneyfacts Consumer Awards 2020' for being best energy provider of the year.

Thanks again for your comments and should you need to discuss anything further, please do not hesitate to contact us. Given the current pandemic we are facing, we are still available to contact via phone, email and livechat (where available) so that we can continue to help support all our customers.

Thanks

Jas

• timberwolf2000
    timberwolf2000 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    edited 10 April 2020 at 10:45AM
    Options
    The So Energy Low Price Commitment pledges:
    "The fixed tariff we offer will always be one of the best available, from any energy supplier. We look at the average annual cost of gas and electricity for an Ofgem ‘medium user’, across all regions of the UK, and make sure our fixed tariff is within the cheapest 10%."

But lets look at how this works out in reality.

Firstly, Ofgem describes a 'medium user' on a dual fuel tariff as using 12000kWh/yr gas and 2900kWh/yr electricity (not 3100kWh/yr)

If we then consider the London supply region as an example (as no one lives 'across all regions').

So Energy would currently charge £853/yr on their So Adler tariff.

There are about 70 licenced energy suppliers active within the UK domestic energy supply market, so to be within the top 10%, So Energy would be expected to be within the top 7 suppliers.

However, all the following licenced suppliers have at least one tariff on offer today that are lower cost than So Energy, starting from as little as just £722/yr. (an annual saving of up to £131/yr)

Avro
    British gas
    EDF
    Eon
    ESB
    Goto
    Green
    GNE
    Gulf
    Igloo
    nPower
    Octopus
    Orbit
    OFTM
    Scottish Power
    Simplicity
    Together Energy
    Tonik
    Yorkshire Energy

• So_Energy
    Options
    The So Energy Low Price Commitment pledges:
    "The fixed tariff we offer will always be one of the best available, from any energy supplier. We look at the average annual cost of gas and electricity for an Ofgem ‘medium user’, across all regions of the UK, and make sure our fixed tariff is within the cheapest 10%."

But lets look at how this works out in reality.

Firstly, Ofgem describes a 'medium user' on a dual fuel tariff as using 12000kWh/yr gas and 2900kWh/yr electricity (not 3100kWh/yr)

If we then consider the London supply region as an example (as no one lives 'across all regions').

So Energy would currently charge £853/yr on their So Adler tariff.

There are about 70 licenced energy suppliers active within the UK domestic energy supply market, so to be within the top 10%, So Energy would be expected to be within the top 7 suppliers.

However, all the following licenced suppliers have at least one tariff on offer today that are lower cost than So Energy, starting from as little as just £722/yr. (an annual saving of up to £131/yr)

Avro
    British gas
    EDF
    Eon
    ESB
    Goto
    Green
    GNE
    Gulf
    Igloo
    nPower
    Octopus
    Orbit
    OFTM
    Scottish Power
    Simplicity
    Together Energy
    Tonik
    Yorkshire Energy

Hello Timberwolf2000,

Your comments around how Ofgem describe a medium user is correct as this was updated by them in April 2020.

In terms of our Low Price Commitment we would also consider that the other supplier has a similar tariff available. So, we only offer a 12 month fixed tariff and would not consider certain tariffs that other suppliers might offer (E.g. longer than 12 months or variable tariffs).

Regarding the list of suppliers you have mentioned, we are keen to look into this for you. Please can you email help@so.energy and provide us with the information that you used to generate the quotes. It would be best to mention your research to allow us to investigate and respond accordingly.

Thanks

Jas

So Energy Team  

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback