🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cam belt change cost

Options
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have an idea about how much is it to change a Cam belt on a 07 ford focus, the cheapest I got so far is 280 from a local mechanic, and i'm not sure if that is the price for it, or can one get it done for cheaper ?
Any tips or advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds about right. Make sure it includes the tensioner replacement too.
  • straighttalker
    Options
    When going for a cambelt, cheapest isn't always the best. Perhaps the cheapest quote you will get is for a cambelt only. Then where will you be if one of the tensioners fail?

Best job would be get a quote for a cambelt, tensioners and water pump too as in most cases there is no extra labour involved in swapping out the water pump as it has to come out anyway.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No you don't have to take the water pump off for a cambelt, but its more of a case you sometimes have to take a timing belt off to get to the water pump to people replace it with the timing belt as whilst its off it's only an extra half hour to do it aswell
  • straighttalker
    Options
    Sorry, yes that's what I was trying to get at. Of course you could leave the water pump in situ.
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds ok if it includes full kit - tensioners, and water pump.

Try whocanfixmycar - kinda like gocompare of garages. In my experience only any good if you live in a big city though.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not a ford but paid £400 for cambelt + tensioners + water pump. Stupid car even has two cambelts to make the job harder.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    stator wrote: »
    Not a ford but paid £400 for cambelt + tensioners + water pump. Stupid car even has two cambelts to make the job harder.
    Is it a rover KV6 by any chance? Actually it can't be, that's too cheap for that.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No, it's a VW
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • fimacca
    Options
    my audi a4 belt kit was 85 quid, then the labour and water pump too. 3 hour job. take it to a trustworthy source as if not done right - can mash the engine up ! some things are best paid for properly - but that does not mean 'main dealer stealers' !
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Options
    Sounds reasonable, if - as stated previously - it includes tensioners. Which need to be done. But get a new water pump as well. The part is not expensive, but the labour ( usually ) involves removing and replacing the cam belt if it goes at a later date, so it makes sense to get it renewed at the same time. With cam belts and the associated gubbins, the parts are fairly cheap, it's the labour that costs. I got stung like this many years ago - bought a used car, the cam-belt had been changed recently, thought I had a good deal. The water pump went soon after, it was £250 to change it, due to the labour - the part itself was peanuts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport