Has anyone tried reiki?

Options
I'm thinking of trying this therapy to deal with some helth issues normal doctors can't solve (mainly related to stress), but I know nothing about it and the only way I can find a therapist is google.

Any experiences out there, good or bad?

Comments

• trolleyrun
    trolleyrun Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    A friend of mine is a Reiki master and very good. I've really enjoyed my sessions. I can ask if there's a register or "club" masters should belong to to make sure you find a suitably qualified one if you like.
  • ravilious_fan
    Options
    Likewise a colleague of mine was a reiki practitioner, but we no longer have contact with her.
    sealed pot challenge 9 #004
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    What noise does a duck make...?

;)

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    What noise does a duck make...?

;)

HBS x

If you're going to write it off, then at least back up your opinion with a reason. I have friends that use reiki as an exercise in relaxation and it works for them - the OP's health issues are stress related so it sounds like something that may be helpful. Is it going to do any harm? Got to be better than the usual NHS suggestions of drugs or a waiting list for a few weeks of CBT.
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    tomtontom wrote: »
    If you're going to write it off, then at least back up your opinion with a reason. I have friends that use reiki as an exercise in relaxation and it works for them - the OP's health issues are stress related so it sounds like something that may be helpful. Is it going to do any harm? Got to be better than the usual NHS suggestions of drugs or a waiting list for a few weeks of CBT.

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/reiki.html

File alongside homeopathy, reflexology and aromatherapy. If it worked, it'd be available on the NHS...I am fond of the saying "if alternative medicine worked, it's be called medicine".

A good massage would probably be better for relaxation and would physically do your body some good as well...

#scientist #placeboeffect

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

#Bremainer
  • Alisha2008
    Alisha2008 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks but i'm not interested in opinions I can find online (I know how to search for those), only on personal experiences and recommendations. I use homeopaty and for me it works, and I will happily recommend my doctor.
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 13 November 2015 at 1:57PM
    Options

File alongside homeopathy, reflexology and aromatherapy. If it worked, it'd be available on the NHS...I am fond of the saying "if alternative medicine worked, it's be called medicine".

A good massage would probably be better for relaxation and would physically do your body some good as well...

HBS x

They are there to manage a condition not to treat them. It is a complementary treatment. So if it helps a patient to manage it, it is up to them to use it.
    ally.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options

HBS x

You appear blinded to the limitations of NHS treatment, especially when it comes to mental health. OP may be offered anti depressants by the NHS, which have the potential for addiction and countless side effects, is that going to be better for her?

OP if you are in Nottingham and need a recommendation I'll happily get you that information ;)
  • davetrousers
    Options
    Alisha2008 wrote: »
    only in personal experiences and recommendations.

Rather than actual evidence?

iWKad22.jpg

• heartbreak_star
    Options
    I'm not blinded at all. I just like my medication to go through rigorous testing and have proveable, repeatable effects :)

I reiterate my quote from above.

Complementary therapies are fine if you wish to throw money at them...just don't stop any conventional treatment prescribed because you think they're curing you...

(Alternative medicine is a massive bone of contention for me, almost as bad as mediums and clairvoyants ;) )

HBS x

#Bremainer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport