sugar addiction, it is a fact

Options
the chemical sugar opens gated ion channels and leads to the production of neurotransmitters such as seratonin and beta endorphin. Seratonin in particular has a great influence over many complex functions in the brain, eg sleep, mood, appetite, pain. People can become addicted to the soothing effects of the neurotransmitters and find themselves needing more and more sugar and fat to produce the same effect. Without that effect there is a reversion to anxiety, pain, sleeplessness etc. Chocolate is bad, loaded with fat and sugar and that is only one example

So I have explained in simple terms why I have been suffering pain and sleeplessness since the terrible stress when I lost my husband in february. This addiction is affecting many of us and is akin to be addicted to an opiate. I have just eaten several biscuits, didn`t want to but couldn`t help myself and prior to that was my daily dose of chocolate

I am addicted to sugar and this is going to be one long hard road and it was started by stress.

Anyone else addicted?

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I try to keep most of my addictions in check if I feel I can actually control that.

e.g. I've a thing about a particular fizzy drink. When it's on special I'll do a 12 mile round trip just to stock up and buy about 48 cans.... and then I'll find myself drinking up to 4/day!!

But I realised I was doing this and I've cut back. I no longer keep stocks in. I will deliberately have none in the house whatsoever and, instead, specifically drink squash for a week..... and now I've stopped "stocking up" and just buy single cans at Mr L. While the cost/can is higher by 4p, I'm actually drinking less (so saving more) - and it's easier to not let the addiction take control as I'm more able to make them stretch when there's not another 16 cans sitting under the stairs.

It's the same with sweeties..... I deliberately and consciously don't buy sweeties, when it'd be easy to slide them into my basket.

My house is also currently sweetie free.... it's killing me ...but in a few more days I'll buy some more, carefully chosen ones.

I "gave up" Walkers' crisps in the same way. It used to be easy to pop multi-packs in the trolley, justifying it as they were on offer. Now I still buy multi packs, but specifically and only 2-3x a year.

It is hard to walk past things you know you could just buy .... and you like .... but it needs to be done or it's the thin end of the wedge.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes PN, a good example for me, cutting down slow and steady. I believe that completely stopping is no good, there are terrible withdrawal symptoms. In my case it is about the time of day too, I crave the sugar after lunch (ridiculous) and up to my teatime which is always finished by 6. Then I seem ok until breakfast. Maybe this timing is like cognitive behavioural stuff ie if I started eating sugars after 6, then my mind would get used to it. Scary. I already crave chocolate straight after lunch, even if I am full
  • Shropshirelass
    Options
    I'm sure sugar is addictive, and we don't realise all the bad side effects yet, and not likely to either, as no one will fund research in the face of powerful global profiteers.

You might find it interesting to look at Prof Tim Noakes and Real Meal Revolution via 'tinterweb - I'm no dietician but could follow his argument, and there are some good ideas and recipes.

It's difficult to cut down on sugar/sweets/chocolate - for a lot of us they are the prop we use to cope with all the efforts we make through the day. Now I'm retired, I manage to keep to three proper meals a day, but that was hard to do when working shifts.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Today is another day and I am trying a whole new way. Going back to how I cooked when my husband was alive. No more trying too hard

I have been re-reading a small book I have by Nigel Slater and by golly I love his gentle style and it has made me realise that I am no longer cooking with love and care but more quickly to get the good nutrients in, no matter what and hence this may well be one of the causes of me putting on weight. I no longer really enjoy my food and the comfort comes from the sugar addiction. So I am now prepared to make a pasta dish for my lunch, just a few ingredients and a weighed amount of pasta, much better as I was probably over estimating. Lots of fried garlic, some olive oil, goats cheese. I have prepared a bowl of veg as well, no getting away from that and good job I like veg. Now shock horror but I am cooking 6 portions of berry crumble, all in separate dishes and I have added sugar and the crumble is made with butter. Oh yes it smells lovely and I am hoping that this after lunch will satisfy my cravings. It will certainly make my stomach feel satisfied. Then at teatime, hm soup veg from the freezer and a slice of hm sourdough with a good dollop of peanut butter. So yes more of the nice things. I will know later if it is going to work
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I've always been the world's worst sugar addict. my sweetie consumption was legendary. But I live remote and only hit the shops once a week - so if I can avoid anything sugary for that one hour a week then I'm safe... !
  • margaretclare
    Options
    Yes, I believe that sugar is addictive - there is a plethora of scientific evidence now for that view. I believe it has always been known to be addictive and damaging but the views of food manufacturing industries have been very powerful and have over-ridden scientific and medical evidence. Dr John Yudkin wrote a book 'Pure White and Deadly' and that was back in the 70s. His views were never listened to.

There is such a thing as an 'addictive personality' i.e. some people are more vulnerable to becoming addicted than are others. I am very fortunate. I don't have an addictive personality and neither does DH. Over our lifetimes we've been exposed to various addictions - smoking, alcohol, comfort-eating etc - but we've never become addicted. DH was able to stop smoking 'just like that' after a scare, whereas my first husband, no matter how many scares he had, could never stop the smoking. People who are addicted use the addiction as an excuse 'oh it helps me to cope with the difficulties of life'.

If I had 3 'proper' meals a day I should not be able to control my weight. Over the last 2-3 years we've gradually moved to eating when we're hungry. That means: a good breakfast and lunch/midday meal much later, maybe 3-4 pm. And after that, I don't want anything else. Maybe a bit of fruit in the evening.

DH likes my banana custard. When I make the custard I don't add any sugar to it. It tastes just as good. So far today, I haven't had any sugar at all, except what can't be avoided, included in the manufacture of a slice of wholemeal bread.

Until the end of the year it's going to be difficult to avoid all the TV ads. Morrisons' are advertising 4 tins of chocolates 'for Christmas'. I don't think the Three Wise Men brought tins of Cadbury's chocolate with them, so what has it to do with Christmas? We certainly shan't be buying any of them.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We've started just having two meals. I find my porridge keros me full for ages, then we'll eat about 4.

However, just made a major error; I'm going out shortly do our quick meal was a shop bought curry. The fat content is red-flagged.

The traffic light system is good, so we will check before buying in future.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • EdSwippet
    EdSwippet Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Biscuits!

I live in the chocolate digestive part of the country, but my weakness is ginger nuts. I've stopped buying them. If they're in the house an entire packet can disappear inside of a day or two.
  • JCB20
    JCB20 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    I retired last year after working in an office where tea and coffee was provided. Needless to say we drank copious quantities of the stuff. For me it was always with two sachets of sugar.

When I left I made the decision not to take any sugar with tea and coffee. I also choose not to eat discretionary sugar items such as biscuits, puddings etc.

It wasn’t easy but as already mentioned it was akin to giving up the fags. However it's a matter of will power and not giving in to the craving. Refined sugary stuff is still lovely but I don’t need it. I tend to eat natural sugars especially oranges and other fruit instead.

The result, well after just over a year I have dropped two stone.

Probably helped by going to the gym for some regular exercise as-well!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good points on here, worth thinking about.

I do tend to eat by the clock rather than stomach hunger. Tomorrow will be all change, a good breakfast ie my usual cereal/berry mix done in the rice cooker but I`ll also boil an egg this time. I won`t notice 12 o`clock come and go if I am busy, so I plan to batch cook a casserole for packaging to freeze also making a veg soup for packaging. Maybe a bit of cleaning and it`ll all kill time. I am going to try and hold on to 3-4 o`clock. Then a bit of celery with a tsp of peanut butter before bed, so I sleep all night

I must say that I am finding it a struggle, esp when I sit down
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport