Port a number

Options
Nikkisun
Nikkisun Posts: 1,330 Forumite
I'm buying my son a new phone for Christmas and have ordered it now as I found a good deal - obviously the contract will start running as soon as I receive the phone but I don't want to port his number until as near to Christmas as possible.

Is it possible to port to a new phone after the contract has been running a month or so?
xxx Nikki xxx

Comments

• LazyTyper
    Options
    Yes, as long as you keep the existing contract running.
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Most will allow porting at any time. I have done it as long as 18 months later...most networks have an online form you can fill in, this avoids ringing in and subsequent human error.
  • Nikkisun
    Options
    Perfect - thanks.

Now is there any way to get a number to port on Christmas Day??
    xxx Nikki xxx
  • TadleyBaggie
    Options
    Doubt it, porting normal only happens after x working days, Christmas is unlikely to be that. I doubt you would get any action on this until the 29th or the 30th.
  • Nikkisun
    Options
    I thought that was probably the case. I might have to sneakily port the number before Christmas and put the new sim in his old phone, then he can just pop it into the new phone on Christmas Day.
    xxx Nikki xxx
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 11 November 2015 at 10:27AM
    Options
    Don't waste money on paying for unused contract. Port the number to the new sim, use it in the old phone, keep the new phone until Christmas.

As a cautious note, how old is your son an is the contract capped?
  • TadleyBaggie
    Options
    If his existing phone is locked to a different network, the new SIM may not work in it.
  • CoastalWarrior
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    Don't waste money on paying for unused contract. Port the number to the new sim, use it in the old phone, keep the new phone until Christmas.

As a cautious note, how old is your son an is the contract capped?

I would just do this assuming the old phone is unlocked or locked to the same network as the existing contract.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure