Southern Water - how much?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
5 replies 1.4K views
skattykattyskattykatty Forumite
393 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
Moved into rented flat back in feb, 2 adults. The water IN bills charged by SouthEast water seem reasonable, works out about £11/£12 a month. Does that sound right?

Just got a bill for water OUT from Southern Water, which works out at nearly £18 a month! Called Southern Water who don't own the pipes and told us to call SouthEast Water, who do. Woman shocked at how much Southern Water are charging - looks like they charge 67pence MORE for getting rid of water, than SouthEast water charge for giving us the water in the first place. And there is NOTHING we can do about it.

Realise I don't have a question, just shocked and frustrated.:mad:

I suppose no more baths and seeing if landlord can slice a meter off a pipe so we can use a water butt is in order...

Replies

• macmanmacman Forumite
    48.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't say if you are on RV billing or metered. If RV, what is the RV value? If metered, what is your usage?
    No one can tell you what is 'right' without that info, since charges vary by up to 250% by region.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • We have a meter. Both Southern and SouthEast water reps told us that we seem to be using what's about average for 2 people. We pay £1.60 for each cubic meter of water in and £2.27 for each cubic meter of water out (I think Southern look at what goes in and charge for 92% coming out)
  • merrydancemerrydance Forumite
    653 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    We pay £87.10 per month for water and sewerage from Wessex Water, I am starting to think this cannot be right?
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a meter. Both Southern and SouthEast water reps told us that we seem to be using what's about average for 2 people. We pay £1.60 for each cubic meter of water in and £2.27 for each cubic meter of water out (I think Southern look at what goes in and charge for 92% coming out)

The average consumption for 2 people is 110 to 120 cubic metres a year.

So based on your figures your sewerage will cost £250 to £272 plus a £25 standing charge and £12 highway drainage charge

Your water supply with SE water is £176 to £192 plus a £30 standing charge.

A total of £493 to £531 pa

There are 4 regions in SE water - see - http://www.southeastwater.co.uk/your-account/about-your-bill/water-charges/water-charges-mid-kent

and the all charge less than £1.60 per M3
  • Thanks Cardew. That's a lot of numbers. Trying my best at mental maths, and going by the figures you give, it seems that we are doing well! I think, to date, we've paid £215 for 8 months. Feel somewhat reassured.

Merrydance - hope someone can help you out. It does sound like a lot, I suppose it depends on how many in your household etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides