14 replies 3.3K views
TowserTowser Forumite
1.3K posts
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pets & Pet Care
If you have Accidental Cover you expect accidents to be covered. - No

Among the other many exclusions - "Any costs for out-of-hours fees
unless required to prevent a life endangering condition."

So it is ok to have an accident but not out of hours!

Our dog had a gash and needed 6 staples immediately not life endangering but could not wait until the end of the weekend.

They were charging me for this policy which was not worth the money it was written on.

Replies

• TowserTowser Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    You have to successfully navigate around the policy wording before you sign up

I have been told for the same amount paid you can get better cover with another company. Can someone suggest one, as our policy is up for renewal soon?

It's only when you make a claim you realise how bad the insurance policy is. Animal friends in name only not actually.

They are not ethical company. Who would leave a dog till Monday with a big gash.
  • Towser... I'm an Animal Friends complainer (my post is still on this page I think) and I was going to look at moving my younger dog away from A.F after my experience with older dog, but other forum members helpfully advised to be careful as even if you have mentioned a medical issue or episode to the vet, and not even claimed, it can still count as a pre-existing condition, so be careful you don't open yourself to more potential issues.
    Insurance truly sucks! Totally agree it should cover all emergencies! What level policy is it out of interest? Must admit I'm a shocker for not reading small print so need to check mine!
  • Just seen this posted on my own AF thread.... A lady has had the exact same issue regarding emergency appointments.... About 40 mins in http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06jhjxd/watchdog-series-36-episode-2
    X
  • TowserTowser Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Accidental Cover level policy.

Luckily the dog does not have pre-existing condition so will be looking to change to another insurance company just need someone on here to suggest a few.

Yes I did see your thread I was in doubt whether to start another but just wanted people to know to read the small print very carefully. It's only after the event has happened that you know what the insurance is really good for - nothing.
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    10.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would always recommend Petplan, costly but the Rolls Royce of policies.

One of mine is with NCI as she had an existing claim for cruciate repair with AXA . Any other company would exclude any further problem with that leg or if the other cruciate went.

My oldie had no claims with AXA although he has some potential exclusions before AXA that haven't been a problem so far. Petplan would only cover him for £3000 for 12 months per condition due to his age . I did not think that was adequate as would not cover any ongoing conditon. At 11 years old he has none so far.

Being over 8 years limits who will cover him but I have gone with Tesco after a recommendation from a friend. I have read they increase premiums with age but so do most companies.

He is getting to an age when 12 months cover per condition may be adequate.
  • Person_onePerson_one Forumite
    28.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These sorts of experiences are why I don't insure my animals. Insurance companies make their money from you one way or another, I'd rather just give mine straight to the vet if needed.

I realise I'm lucky that I am able to cover a big vet bill if one comes along and not everybody is in that position, but there's a lot to be said for the 'self insuring' method. At least you know where you stand.
  • pinkteapotpinkteapot Forumite
    7.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just seen this posted on my own AF thread.... A lady has had the exact same issue regarding emergency appointments.... About 40 mins in http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06jhjxd/watchdog-series-36-episode-2
    X

Was about to mention the same thing.

Her issue was that her dog became ill with symptoms that were potentially of a serious (fatal within hours) doggy disease. She went to an out of hours vet, but it turned out to be an infection. Animal Friends wouldn't pay out because the condition wasn't life-threatening, but she argued that she couldn't possibly have known that as she's not a vet.

The other stories featured were pretty alarming too. Certainly put me off Animal Friends!

If we could start over, we'd use PetPlan. Everything I've read says they're more expensive initially (first year), but their premiums increase by less year-on-year, and in particular, after claims, they don't increase premiums anywhere near as much as others.

Unfortunately our cat has had illnesses in his first year that we don't want to lose cover for, so we're stuck with More Than. To give them their due, the increase for year 2 wasn't actually as bad as I was expecting after our claims in year 1.

More Than: Year 1 cost us £11/month. We had £600 in claims, but all were for self-contained conditions/fight wounds - nothing that's an ongoing condition. Premium has gone up to £17/month in year 2. On the one hand, a 60%+ increase. On the other, not the 5,000% someone on Watchdog had from Animal Friends. :eek:
  • missbiggles1missbiggles1
    17.5K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Person_one wrote: »
    These sorts of experiences are why I don't insure my animals. Insurance companies make their money from you one way or another, I'd rather just give mine straight to the vet if needed.

I realise I'm lucky that I am able to cover a big vet bill if one comes along and not everybody is in that position, but there's a lot to be said for the 'self insuring' method. At least you know where you stand.

Even more so if you have several animals, as I do. Insuring 2 older dogs and 4 cats (at the last count) really isn't financially viable for most people.
  • Person_onePerson_one Forumite
    28.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even more so if you have several animals, as I do. Insuring 2 older dogs and 4 cats (at the last count) really isn't financially viable for most people.

I worked out what I would have paid in premiums for my two older rescued pedigree breeds, and even though I've shelled out for two big ops and one mystery illness as well as the usual dentals, boosters and occasional minor incidents, I think its highly likely that I'm actually still better off.
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    10.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is the gamble you take.

One of my dogs cost Petplan much more than I paid them.

One of my current dogs has cost her insurance more than I have paid. it will take 8 years of her current premium to cover the cost.

However the other has not had any claims in his 11 years.

Putting away the cost of premiums would not have covered the cost of the first two.

I pay insurance for peace of mind that I won't suddenly have a large bill to pay out of a fixed income.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support