First Direct - 20 minute phone quiz now needed to open savings account

Options

Comments

• msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    Well it certainly looks like the website has now been updated and I've just renewed my RS with no 20 minute torture session required.

I renewed online over weekend without any hassle too.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,469 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    What I said back then was simply repeating what FD had told me over the phone, but they were already getting large numbers of complaints so presumably somebody saw sense.
    I suspect whomever you spoke to was a little confused. Something just didn't sit right with an online application process that reverted to a telephone application.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    I opened my regular saver with FD with no problem last week online. A new customer as well and the terms and conditions were sent as per most banks which of course I read diligently. I think they must have had second thoughts. The staff are of course snowed under with switching requests so they have other issues at the moment.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Ashen
    Ashen Posts: 592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anyone know if you need to phone them to open a new account and do a switch? My parents would likely switch their accounts, but wouldn't want to phone up to do it.

When I applied a few years ago I did it all online, but not sure if the case now.
  • JWalker1995
    Options
    Ashen wrote: »
    Anyone know if you need to phone them to open a new account and do a switch? My parents would likely switch their accounts, but wouldn't want to phone up to do it.

When I applied a few years ago I did it all online, but not sure if the case now.

I applied last Saturday as a first time customer and did the switch, at the end of the application you get an option to do the switch and ill out your old account details. After about a week they email you some documents, once you've 'read' the documents, you have to give ring up and give the go ahead, they they start the process.

Also, as part of setting up the account, you have to ring up and give security details for telephone banking, so there is some aspect of using the phone
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,488 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I accompanied my father to HSBC to open theirs - seems the practice has extended to that Regular Saver too. Asking him all manner of questions including what his annual income was and how much his household bills are; whether he has any other bank accounts...
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    I accompanied my father to HSBC to open theirs - seems the practice has extended to that Regular Saver too. Asking him all manner of questions including what his annual income was and how much his household bills are; whether he has any other bank accounts...

The sheer nosiness of these organisations knows no bounds. Tell 'em nowt - or the absolute minimum you can get away with.
  • nsummerfield
    Options
    This takes just a few seconds online for existing 1st Account customers of first direct, not as claimed in this thread! There is no long telephone conversation as the thread claims.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 28 February 2016 at 11:08PM
    Options
    [STRIKE]Are you saying that it's only your experience that matters and all other people were lying?

In fact this seems to depend on the customer.[/STRIKE]

I apologise. My memory failed me.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,488 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Perhaps they've realised it was putting customers off and have relaxed it accordingly for existing customers. We'll know more if others report some recent experiences.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure