Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Do you think it's wise to keep my cats in tonight in case of Halloween fireworks?

in Pets & pet care
15 replies 1.1K views
faerielightfaerielight Forumite
1.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
H... I'm not sure whether there may be fireworks tonight for Halloween, and to keep my cats in.. They are utterly terrified of them and when they reverberate through the windows they think the threat is inside and they panic and run out. Are any of you keeping your cats in tonight?
Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE :)

Replies

• Money_makerMoney_maker Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm not although she does get frightened by the noise. If your cats are that terrified then keep them in and put the tv/washing machine/radio on quite loudly to try to muffle any bangs.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • jackieblackjackieblack Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I got mine in before it got dark. I've just heard some fireworks being let off so am glad I did
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 InverterSouth facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs: 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07, 2021 £1250.00 2022 (offset) YTD £1375.00
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Yes - I have heard a few fireworks going off too. barney doesn't normally go out after dark anyway. oh, and he isn't scared of them - as long as they are outside and he is inside he ignores them!
  • IlonaIlona Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    My three cats are in every single night. I will not let them wander the streets in the dark. I could not sleep at night knowing they are out.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • faerielightfaerielight Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Forumite
    thanks guys .. I managed to get my 3 in the bedroom, they are scratching the door but I think they'll cope for a few hours! I feel relieved to have them in.. I live in a very studenty area so they are bound to be some parties tonight!
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Don't shut them in a room on their own, it will make them even more frightened. They need you to be there to snow them that there is nothing to be frieghtend off.

Try just sitting with them, turn the telly up or something that will muffle any bangs.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • faerielightfaerielight Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Forumite
    I went in to hang out with them and 2 escaped and went out and the fireworks have kicked off.. I wish I'd not opened the door, they were so dam quick and the cat flap is broken so I couldn't lock it .. I really hope they'll be ok .. I'm really stressed and worried now :(
  • Don't worry hun. They will be fine. Cats are quite resilient! They will be back soon! When they come back in though, shut the catflap! :p

And as someone said above ^^^ keep them with you in the lounge with the telly on. :)
    Proud to have lost over 3 stone (45 pounds,) in the past year! :j Now a size 14!

You're not singing anymore........ You're not singing any-more! :D
  • Deep_In_DebtDeep_In_Debt Forumite
    8.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Mine are both in but they are mainly indoor cats anyway.

So many fireworks tonight - I don't recall it being this bad in the past. Both of mine are asleep under the bed and seem fine there.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • eamoneamon Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    Who is the owner here? It's not difficul to keep them in.
    Get a grip!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals