Charity fraud - how long?

Options
Four weeks ago I was made aware of some pretty serious corruption involving the use of a non-for-profit companies' funding.

I won't go in to too much detail, but this was anything from lying on time sheets to spending cash (hundreds) on personal items, that went straight to the employees home.
I reported this anomalously via the website, charity fraud line.

I also learnt two weeks ago, that more fraudulent activities where planned, I reported these, again through the website.

Much of this is easy to prove (card statements etc) but I am disappointed that despite my efforts, no visible action has taken place (it would be very clear if anything had been said internally) and more transgressions have been allowed to happen.

How long does it take to take these points and investigate?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    direct report to Police , stop messing around if you have concerns
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    Options
    Do the trustees check these things?
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ben_m_g wrote: »
    Four weeks ago I was made aware of some pretty serious corruption involving the use of a non-for-profit companies' funding.

This implies that the OP is relying on hearsay and not on direct knowledge. Hearsay is probably not enough for the Police to take action, so that is probably why this charity hot-line organisation has not been able to get the Police to take action based on the OP's call alone..
  • ben_m_g
    ben_m_g Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mistral001 wrote: »
    This implies that the OP is relying on hearsay and not on direct knowledge. Hearsay is probably not enough for the Police to take action, so that is probably why this charity hot-line organisation has not been able to get the Police to take action based on the OP's call alone..

Yeah, not first hand knowledge, hence the use of the designated fraud line instead of police action.

The details I have provided state that hard evidence can be found, card transactions, bank statements, quotation documentation and of course witness accounts.

It needs investigation, however nothing has happened.
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Options
    Investigations do not happen over night and if you are working this complaint on the basis of hear say and raised your concerns that is all you can do, Personally I believe that hearsay in these instances is far from enough evidence as you have put it and without seeing said evidence this is all just talk at the moment.
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Options
    Perhaps there are just malicious people within the organisation to who have nothing better to do that stir up trouble, If it was serious and true then no doubt the said charity would be taking action.
  • ben_m_g
    ben_m_g Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can imagine that it may sound like rumour and !!!!!ing if you don't know the details. I can update with more info without compromising my friend.

Basically my friend has been working there for 20 months, he came across evidence (i.e. a receipt) of "industrial" type equipment being purchased to an account-number that seemed familiar. It didn't take much to glance at the company debit card that was on one of the manager's desk. They matched.

The reason why this friend was interested, was that purchase was very unusual, they had more than enough of this item, infact said manager had complained a few months prior about having so many.

A few months pass and no sign of the purchase, (odd as they take only a few weeks.) A few months more and they needed a replacement. Manger informed them that no more would be ordered and they would have to do without.

The item is basically an expensive version of a normal electrical item, not something you would buy yourself but, would do if it was for free. That same manager was boasting about having one of these (although obviously claimed they brought it from a shop) shortly afterwards.

The company is only small, and there are no other branches. My friend was going to report this himself, but he is worried about loosing his job and previous reports have been pretty much ignored by the charity.
    The charity has hit some hard times, when I suggested that this was an official purchase, he commented that there was an embargo on all purchases, even needed equipment has been postponed.
  • marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you are waiting for the Charity Commission to do something don't hold your breath the first thing they will do is dash off a quick letter to the charity saying someone has said something please stop it.

If you have real concerns and some actual evidence you really should go to the police. The waste of space, giving employment to the governments friends, charity commission will, as is shown time and again, do nothing unless they really, really really have to.
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It seems to me that the one to raise concerns is your friend. Surely they don't want to be seen as implicit in this. Your friend is in a position to gather evidence and pass it on to the police. Are they unwilling to do this?
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As far as I know there is only one organisation that investigates crimes such as fraud, theft etc. and that is the Police. That is the authority that needs to be informed. If this charity hot line is given evidence that a crime has been committed they have to inform the police. They cannot hold their own investigation and then tell the Police.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure