What happens if I am mid-contract and fibre optic becomes available in my area?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
9 replies 817 views
Seagull27Seagull27 Forumite
852 Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Hi all (again!)

We are about to switch ISP and are looking into our options, most of which are 18 month contracts, but a couple are 12 months.

We live in a very rural area with only a 2MB connection speed. But fibre optic is creeping into some of the larger surrounding villages. If luck should shine down on us soon and we receive fibre optic where we are (unlikely but you never know), what would happen? Would we have to wait for our contract to end to use it? That would be so painful! - enduring such slow speeds and knowing such faster speeds were available. Does anyone know what would happen in this scenario? Anyone been there? Would a shorter contract be a good idea?

Many thanks

Max

Replies

• mije1983mije1983 Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some providers may let you upgrade, but you couldn't insist on it if you were mid contract. May be worth speaking to those ISPs that you are considering and asking them if they have a policy on this.

Does your exchange feature on this page? Will give you a very rough idea as to whether it's being rolled out any time soon.

http://superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

• flashg67flashg67 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Plusnet upgraded me when fibre arrived mid contract - of course I'm paying more, and looking at my contract expiry date, I must have agreed to a new contract
  • onomatopoeia99onomatopoeia99 Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not every ISP requires a 12 month or 18 month minimum term.

Alternatively you could stick with your current ISP, you are not "out of contract" so they will continue to supply you, you are just out of the initial minimum term and probably now onto a 30 day notice contract.
    Home is where my books are.

Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    Mortgage neutral target Jun 2019, achieved Dec 2018.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can invariably upgrade-but not downgrade.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With me it was a phone call to say i wanted fibre .Current contract cancelled and new contract taken out for 18 months fibre .
  • FuturisticFuturistic Forumite
    841 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭
    It would be counted as upgrade so it's possible at a cost, I'd probably wait out till end of price is too high and then look at available offers
  • duchyduchy Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Futuristic wrote: »
    It would be counted as upgrade so it's possible at a cost, I'd probably wait out till end of price is too high and then look at available offers

Can't speak for other providers but with Sky you'd be moved from BB to Fibre -the rest of the BB contract would vanish and you'd be locked into a new 12 month contract with an offer (currently half price for unlimited Fibre) just like a new customer.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Blackjack_DavyBlackjack_Davy Forumite
    523 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    If you're with the same company it shouldn't be a problem, but switching to another provider expect to pay the usual cancellation fees.
    macman wrote: »
    You can invariably upgrade-but not downgrade.

Indeed, they're happy enough to upgrade you as it means more money for them. A downgrade not so much.
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall inherit the Internet.
  • FuturisticFuturistic Forumite
    841 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭
    duchy wrote: »
    Can't speak for other providers but with Sky you'd be moved from BB to Fibre -the rest of the BB contract would vanish and you'd be locked into a new 12 month contract with an offer (currently half price for unlimited Fibre) just like a new customer.

That's true, I guess if you need the higher speed then upgrade but usually the 17-20Mb from ADSL is fine for most. Alternative, you can upgrade and hope they increase your price such as line rental allowing you to leave
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals