Sky Fibre Broadband Unlimited...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
10 replies 1.1K views
David333David333 Forumite
695 Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Does anybody have any thoughts on Sky Fibre Broadband Unlimited?

I am moving from Talk Talk's Simply Broadband (up to 17mbps) package, which, when I do a speed test, gives me about 10mbps. This is, to be fair to them, adequate for netflix/iplayer, which I use the Internet for. However, I like the idea of fibre, the possibility of getting better speeds. And with the current offer, for the whole of the twelve months of the Sky contract, I'd only be paying 55p a month more than I do to Talk Talk. And maybe Sky will keep my data safe!

If my Internet works okay through Talk Talk, then changing to fibre with Sky shouldn't make it worse, should it?!

Thoughts on Sky would be appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

  • hufc2002hufc2002 Forumite
    280 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I'm looking at doing the same as I currently have Sky Broadband Unlimited with a download speed of circa 2mbps which is pretty useless to be fair.

    Seems a decent offer for £10 per month.
  • David333David333 Forumite
    695 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    The offer ends this evening, which is causing me to worry hat I'm just panic buying. For unlimited fibre, it seems very good (especially as it's 'only' a twelve month contract (£50 installation fee for me though). However, there's always the worry that a currently reasonable Internet speed will deteriorate.
  • joe134joe134 Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    David333 wrote: »
    The offer ends this evening, which is causing me to worry hat I'm just panic buying. For unlimited fibre, it seems very good (especially as it's 'only' a twelve month contract (£50 installation fee for me though). However, there's always the worry that a currently reasonable Internet speed will deteriorate.
    When I phoned them last week, about the deal you are pondering over, she said she would waive the installation fee,if I signed up straight away.
    Which, of course, I didn't
  • MataNuiMataNui Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I have that sky product and so far (had it about 2 months) am happy with it. I have the upto 39 meg package and have a mix of wired and wifi connected devices in the house. The Wired ones regularly get 37 download (it was over 50 in the first couple of weeks but has settled lower now) so i am pretty happy with that. The WIFI on the sky hub is pretty dire though. 2 metres and one block wall away sees the speed drop to 5 meg and its barely usable upstairs.

    All in all though its not bad. Its cheap, fast and only 12 month minimum term.
  • tigga_1961tigga_1961 Forumite
    617 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭
    as they all use the same fibres to get it into your home you shouldnt be any worse off speed wise ive been with sky 5+yrs now and wouldnt change.
  • David333David333 Forumite
    695 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    MataNui wrote: »
    I have that sky product and so far (had it about 2 months) am happy with it. I have the upto 39 meg package and have a mix of wired and wifi connected devices in the house. The Wired ones regularly get 37 download (it was over 50 in the first couple of weeks but has settled lower now) so i am pretty happy with that. The WIFI on the sky hub is pretty dire though. 2 metres and one block wall away sees the speed drop to 5 meg and its barely usable upstairs.

    All in all though its not bad. Its cheap, fast and only 12 month minimum term.

    Because of the location of everything, it's difficult to get the Roku wired to the router. I assume I can use my own router rather than the Sky Hub one?
  • MataNuiMataNui Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    No. Not really. It is possible but you need to use some software to hack out the details from the sky router. You can use a wifi repeater though.
  • edited 30 October 2015 at 3:01PM
    duchyduchy Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 October 2015 at 3:01PM
    David333 wrote: »
    The offer ends this evening, which is causing me to worry hat I'm just panic buying. For unlimited fibre, it seems very good (especially as it's 'only' a twelve month contract (£50 installation fee for me though). However, there's always the worry that a currently reasonable Internet speed will deteriorate.

    Who told you the offer ended last night ? Half price fibre deal is still there.

    Fibre speeds don't deteriorate (unless there's a fault but Sky just fix that) and the speeds are accurate unlike adsl which have a far wider varience
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

    MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Double_VDouble_V Forumite
    912 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I am on sky fibre. I get 50MB.
    It's amazing. Downloading and streaming like so smooth.
  • Blackjack_DavyBlackjack_Davy Forumite
    523 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    David333 wrote: »
    Because of the location of everything, it's difficult to get the Roku wired to the router. I assume I can use my own router rather than the Sky Hub one?

    Not easily but you can daisy chain a repeater wireless router I picked up a TP Link one for £20. Get good reception and 16mb d/l over wifi. Wired is 38mb.
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall inherit the Internet.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals