🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Quit everything , and start again over 50?

Options

Comments

• MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,908 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Please don't talk about dentists - I'm due to have a lot of work done in January starting off with about 4 extractions! I was supposed to start the work in August but I chickened out and put it off till the NY. Now I wish I had just had it done then and it would have almost been over and done with.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    When I report back I shal lie and say it was a breeze. Have had to stop my anti-coagulant and now have to take a Valium to help access via my hopeless jaw muscles. It doesn't relax me, which is Not Fair. But then what is?
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    No need to panic AC. Focus on positives. You are away from a job you hated and no longer in debt. You have the wherewithal to buy a place outright with no mortgage and hopefully enough money in the bank for you to take a 6 month sabbatical to get your diet and health on track. Do you cook for yourself?

The only reason many of us are urging caution on buying an expensive place or considering the job situation is to hopefully make you aware of things you may not have thought of so you have them in the back of your mind. Ultimately it is all your decisions.

You are new to the south west and it may take a bit of getting used to but I am sure by middle of next year you will have settled in to your new life. Maybe next week after you are moved in get some of your possessions out of storage to make you feel at home. Just think of your neighbours when playing the guitar in the small hours - us yokels like our sleep ;)

The dark and rainy evenings will help you save money at least. I would suggest you get yourself out and about during the day to get familiar with Poole and the surrounding areas.

Always remember the advice we give can be ignored or listened to. None of us know your situation exactly from just a few posts on an Internet forum.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't read this Mrs P! It didn't give me much confidence when I had the first extraction (tooth had broken in half) and they couldn't stop the bleeding. 4 hours later they advised me to go to A & E (but did not offer to take me or send anyone with me), although they did ask me to pay before I left! A & E removed the 3 stitches which the dentist had put in, packed the hole and re-stitched. They also took blood for tests but could find no reason why the bleeding wouldn't stop. Am currently looking around for another NHS dentist but no luck yet. Would also like one who doesn't just try to sell me treatment (no the very slight stain on one of my bottom teeth does not bother me so I do not want stain removal/teeth whitening etc.).
    Understand about chronic illness and good/bad days but also know that if you say things often enough they can become fixed ideas and a reason for not trying things, and then other people start to believe it too. I feel a song coming -
    "You've got to accentuate the positive
    eliminate the negative
    Latch on to the affirmative
    But don't mess with mister inbetween"

Right, cat is fed (and asleep on the bed); dried fruit is soaking for Xmas cakes (bit late but never mind); dinner is ready for later and kitchen clean and tidy (except for eldest DD who is on laptop at dining table but hasn't actually got dressed or brushed her hair). Superhero cape is in the wash so will have to leave the world economy for another day and go and do something constructive like finishing my book.
  • WeeMidgie
    Options
    wendym wrote: »

By the way, when AC says he wouldn't employ himself, he isn't putting himself down. Some days, when you live with ill health but put up a front, you catch sight of yourself in a mirror and think "Hmm, so I won't be able to fake it today".

I so agree with you Wendym, and full marks to AC for perseverance in the face of difficulty, and keeping going in the hated job whilst planning and executing his escape plan. I think time spent to get fit is essential, and top priority is recovering from the extra demands of moving, on top of the stress and fatigue caused by that very depleting job. It's not a level playing field living with a health condition.

All future decisions can best be made once refreshed and settled, and A.C. can have some enjoyment getting to know the area in his own time over the next few weeks and months. No need for any extra pressure at all.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 November 2016 at 5:23PM
    Options
    Dreaming, when you can find time in your busy schedule to sort Trump, could you please give him a really hard slap from me? Cheers, babe.

ETA: Am I the only person who would quite like him to be raped by Mexicans? ;0)
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Dreaming, when you can find time in your busy schedule to sort Trump, could you please give him a really hard slap from me? Cheers, babe.

ETA: Am I the only person who would quite like him to be raped by Mexicans? ;0)

Sorry - I don't do violence. Could just "have a talk" with him, which my kids tell me is a fate worse than death. I always want to sing Nellie the Elephant when I hear his name (Off she went with a trumpety-trump, trump, trump, trump). Anyway, having checked my schedule I can see that I don't really have time this week as I have a cardigan to finish knitting, Xmas cakes to make, and am currently making a menu plan to see me (and DD) through till Jan 2017 so I can order in a week or so. Plus the cheesy Christmas films are back on tv so someone has to watch those for quality control. It's a busy life when you're retired.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks folks .
    This morning ,I went to nationwide to pay some funds to one of my brothers . Could do £ 2000today without passport .
    Will bringing passport and pay the rest in . Strange looking branch .
    I que jumped by mistake and an old guy loaned at me and didn't acknowledge my apology . Transferred some funds into my current flex account . In a while I will pay off credit card ( vanquis ) .

3 days in a row ,I've found a patisserie type place in Ashley cross .
    The staff look like footballers wives . They know I'm new to the area. Will take a while to win them over. Always busy though.

Just back from visiting my friends wife & grown up daughter .
    Got in ,and found the cleaner tidied up .

I will not go to job centre .until next year. Final answer.
    Got a reply from one of my friends. He gave me a fantastic reference for next weeks flat .
    Talking to my friends today .tiredneds and slurred speech is still there.
    This means I am not ready for anything ,and need rest .
    The gym will happen next week .

On a brighter and bizarre note,I notice that the local news is somewhat different and calmer . No stabbings / shootings etc . Nothing really depressing TBH . On meridian /itv ,Fred dinage pops up .
    How ? :)
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dreaming, you are a scream, imho. :T

If anyone knows How, it'll be Fred, AC. Gods, are we showing our ages or what? ;)
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,908 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Was he the one who smoked the pipe in How?
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family