PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

I love lists. Lets build the ultimate money saving list.

Options

Comments

• Former_MSE_Andrea
    Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
    edited 27 October 2015 at 11:10AM
    Options
    I love lists too, there's so much satisfaction in ticking things off as you do them!

I created a list for each of my girls so they got everything they needed to do in the day done. It might sound boring but they both loved ticking things off through the day and it made the mornings go so much smoother. It might help someone reading this.

It's gone a bit by the wayside for us over the last year but now I've read this thread I'm going to re-introduce it.

On their lists were e.g
    • Brush teeth
    • Wash face
    • Breakfast
    • Get dressed
    • Read to mum
    • RM Easimaths
    • Practice piano
    • Bath/shower

And don't forget the Money Makeover has a great list just ripe for ticking off and noting your savings :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hermia wrote: »
    My tip is make sure you really know the area you live in. I have lived in so many areas that have had wonderful, cheap fruit and veg stalls or ethnic food shops etc and yet most people I talked to had no idea they were there simply because it was on a street they never walk down! Also make sure you sign up for local newsletters (entertainment venues, restaurants, libraries, local paper, touristy places etc etc). It can be amazing how many free things go on that people are often unaware of.

This is so right!

There are so many things to do and buy locally that don't have to cost the earth and by their nature, being nearby, you're not spending on fuel to get to them.

I already try to buy as much as I can locally but I'm helping out with my kids' schools Christmas Fayre for the first time this year, and trying to support local businesses by asking them for raffle prizes. It's really shown me how much I still don't know what's available locally despite having been here 5 years.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    I love lists too, there's so much satisfaction in ticking things off as you do them!
    The problem with lists is that they are very operational. Yes you can busy yourself with tasks but it takes away from "thinking" time or any strategic planning.

So it might be a good way of getting simple tasks done, but no more than that.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • samsamesggsandham
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    The problem with lists is that they are very operational. Yes you can busy yourself with tasks but it takes away from "thinking" time or any strategic planning.

So it might be a good way of getting simple tasks done, but no more than that.

You are quite right and the world is not black and white. Being a lover of lists helps me to feel more in control and there is nothing more satisfying that ticking something off the list. It also helps me remember everything, have a target - the best bit is probably looking back and seeing all that I have achieved.

I dont go anywhere without a notebook!

The list is looking good - There are some great ideas here.
  • savingmonkey
    Options
    I am getting organised and I am stepping up my money saving.
    I have started by buying a clean new lined notebook with the sole purpose of of keeping track of what I have done/achieved and what I need to do.
    I need help building my first list of as many money saving ideas as I can and need your help for inspiration to get me up and running.

What are you best money savers? Please also score how easy it was to do and how much benefit it gave you (marks out of 10).

Liking this thread and good to hear about other list makers out there, that lemon design notebook on your link looks cool...

Freecycle is great and such a good way to avoid things going to landfill. My main lists at the moment involve Christmas! - I always start buying in the January sales, pick bits up through the year so keeping track of what I have for everyone is essential.

MSE Andrea I like the idea of lists for the kids, super organised!
  • curiousralphy
    curiousralphy Posts: 92 Forumite
    edited 31 October 2015 at 2:09PM
    Options
    I was reading an article once that said - Spend for your real life and not your fantasy life.

I've found it useful to remember whenever I find myself wanting pointless (to me) items. Like the GHD £120 curling iron which I really wanted. In my fantasy life I find time for perfect hair and styling but in reality I'm quite chuffed to be showered, dressed and out the door in 15 minutes. In reality I can't be arsed to spend time faffing about with all that stuff, it just isn't me. That curling iron would have been used a few times and sat in a cupboard gathering dust.... Pity I didn't read the article before the GHD straighteners found their way into my cupboard:o
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I find lists helpful, up to a point.

I keep a spending diary, which I update on a daily basis - it's a document on my computer.

I keep a freezer inventory, also a document on the computer, where I delete anything taken out of the freezer, and record everything I put on the freezer. I also do a meal plan and shopping lists

I use my diary to note down the date that key tasks need to be done, such as transferring money round my current accounts to make sure I get interest paid.

I keep a notepad by the computer for bigger things that need to be done, generally admin things, like letters and emailing and making bookings.

But what I don't do is long daily lists, detailing everything I need to do, such as do washing up, change beds, get dinner out of freezer, feed the birds, peel potatoes. For me, that's too much detail, and I'd be worried I'd spend more time on lists, rather than doing
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,721 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    I keep a spending diary, which I update on a daily basis - it's a document on my computer.

I keep a freezer inventory, also a document on the computer, where I delete anything taken out of the freezer, and record everything I put on the freezer. I also do a meal plan and shopping lists

I use my diary to note down the date that key tasks need to be done, such as transferring money round my current accounts to make sure I get interest paid.

I keep a notepad by the computer for bigger things that need to be done, generally admin things, like letters and emailing and making bookings.
    Are you me? :D
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Are you me? :D

:rotfl::rotfl:

Perhaps we're twins!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • samsamesggsandham
    samsamesggsandham Posts: 34 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 2 November 2015 at 12:55PM
    Options
    Liking this thread and good to hear about other list makers out there, that lemon design notebook on your link looks cool...

Good choice, that is the one I bought! It was naughty though because this is all about not spending money!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure