Is my diet why i feel tired most days? What am i missing?

Options

Comments

• aggypanthus
    aggypanthus Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dont freeze tomatos or cucumber!

Buy a ready made mixed salad . Stuff some inside pitta bread. Add lean sliced ham.
  • WannaBLoaded
    Options
    I've been taking sandwich thins to work for my lunch the last few days, they're 100 calories each and I have them with some salad and Philadelphia in, totals around 260 calories, which still wouldn't really be enough food for you. Maybe a couple of sandwich thins with cheese or ham and salad, a handful of nuts and a piece of fruit would be a better lunch.
    If you're going to start going running next week then mostly eating fruit isn't a good idea - you'll need to get a good mix of carbs and protein or you'll burn out.

I thought cheese was the work of the devil? And is philadelph healthy?

I am thinking one thin sandwich crammed with tuna and maybe onion. Maybe an apple and as you say some nuts but still think i will need more to get energy.

I have been eating more the past few days, rice and sweet potato etc and feel like i am a bit bloated which isn't good.

Working out a good diet is hard.

Nuts are bloody expensive too, just ordered 500g or mixed nuts cost a £5 from tesco
  • WannaBLoaded
    Options
    Dont freeze tomatos or cucumber!

Buy a ready made mixed salad . Stuff some inside pitta bread. Add lean sliced ham.

Ready mixed salad is more pricey :money:
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    I thought cheese was the work of the devil?
    Absolutely not! You need some fats in your diet and cheese is full of calcium and protein. Everything is healthy in moderation, I think you need to stop thinking of foods a 'good' or 'bad' and start thinking more about how you can add different food groups together to create a balanced diet.
    I think someone has already recommended Myfitnesspal - it's worth taking a look as there's a lot of good advice and support on there.
  • WannaBLoaded
    Options
    You don't seem very organised. If you improved this you may find it easier to stick to. Some suggestions to improve this: meal plan - plan your meals a week in advance, therefore you know what to buy and won't be caught out. If you work 9 to 5 prepare your lunch the night before. I know it's a pain in the !!!!!! but that's life. For dinner, you can make healthy, simple meals in a slow cooker. Put it on before work, ready by the time you get home. Something like salmon and veg or pasta can be cooked in less then 20mins. There really is no excuse.

I also think you are over complicating things in terms of asking what you can or can't eat. Losing weight is all about calories in vs caleries out. Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight (slowly). I would suggest using myfitnesspal or the calorie calculter at ITFYM website to get an estimate of your calorie requirment. Fill those calolries with natural healthy foods (not 'low-fat' junk).

What is a healthy food? Pretty much anything that had a face or grows - fish, red meat, poultry, milk (whole milk is more nutricious then skimmed), fruit, veg, olive oil, eggs, nuts, seeds, beans and pulses etc. You know what, your mars bar and crisps are also ok - in moderation!

Eat a diet rich in the above foods while doing regular exrcise and you will lose weight and feel healthy!

I hope that helps.

I agree, i'm a mess. Got this week off though and have been sorting my life out a bit, just got a smartphone for the first time in years (a moto g) and put some fitness apps on it like zombie run as someone here suggested.

My mars and crisps in the day is very much because i don't put the effort into prepare the night before, i don't want to eat it, it makes me feel like i am being unhealthy.

Ideally i would like some help planning a diet that will give me energy.

In the morning i can;t eat too much but can manage to eat something like maybe a zero fat yogurt which i sometimes do, maybe i could stomach a bit of brown bread? But then i will be eating bread again at lunch.

For lunch i think i can manage a brown pita or something with some meat and salad and fruit and nuts. Hopefully that makes me more energetic.

For dinner i can't see me wanting to make anything other than chicken salads or steak and maybe some veg like broccoli.

Just need to work out if that is enough energy for me.

I am partial to a grenade protein bar, they seem relatively healthy?

I am trying to keep a low body fat but add a bit of muscle.
  • WannaBLoaded
    Options
    Absolutely not! You need some fats in your diet and cheese is full of calcium and protein. Everything is healthy in moderation, I think you need to stop thinking of foods a 'good' or 'bad' and start thinking more about how you can add different food groups together to create a balanced diet.
    I think someone has already recommended Myfitnesspal - it's worth taking a look as there's a lot of good advice and support on there.

Just googled it, seems like an app so i will see if i can get it on my phone.

Maybe i need to log my food intake for a few days and calorie count to see where i am going wrong.

Are you into exercise and healthy food then? Like a fitness freak sort of thing?
  • Lizling
    Lizling Posts: 882 Forumite
    edited 20 October 2015 at 11:47PM
    Options
    Ditch the low-fat yoghurt and eat a proper one instead. More filling, more nutritious, and yes it'll probably be more calories but a)you need more calories and b) you'll be less likely to eat junk later.

You seem to be under the impression that eating fat makes you fat. In a nutshell, eating too much food makes you fat and eating too much sugar makes you hungry, (which is one thing that makes you eat too much food.)

One more thing: man up about making a proper dinner. I worked from 9 to 7 today, then went to running club, got home at 10. 9 to 5 is nothing.
    Saving for deposit: Finished! :j
    House buying: Finished!
    Next task: Lots and lots of DIY
  • WannaBLoaded
    Options
    Lizling wrote: »
    Ditch the low-fat yoghurt and eat a proper one instead. More filling, more nutritious, and yes it'll probably be more calories but a)you need more calories and b) you'll be less likely to eat junk later.

Good idea only draw back is i would have a fridge with comfort food in it and i may over do it, with liberte it is 0 fat but i may try it.
    You seem to be under the impression that eating fat makes you fat. In a nutshell, eating too much food makes you fat and eating too much sugar makes you hungry, (which is one thing that makes you eat too much food.)

My outlook is slightly wrong i guess. Just trying to be healthy :money:
    One more thing: man up about making a proper dinner. I worked from 9 to 7 today, then went to running club, got home at 10. 9 to 5 is nothing.

Well when i put that it was SATURDAY, i bet you don't work saturdays do you :p I usually work 6 days a week but only do 6 hour days usually, but my work is relatively physical (property refurbishment) and you probably sit in an office :o

You seem very active though, if i got in at 7 not sure it i would be able to get my jog on :D
  • mj132
    mj132 Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    You might consider incorporating chia seeds into your diet too. I have oats in the morning (sometimes with Greek yoghurt) and add a teaspoon or two of chia seeds.

They don't have a strong taste either way, but both their fibre and protein content might help keeping you feeling full as well as helping muscle recovery as and when you work out.

Chia later. Oops.
  • WannaBLoaded
    Options
    mj132 wrote: »
    You might consider incorporating chia seeds into your diet too. I have oats in the morning (sometimes with Greek yoghurt) and add a teaspoon or two of chia seeds.

They don't have a strong taste either way, but both their fibre and protein content might help keeping you feeling full as well as helping muscle recovery as and when you work out.

Chia later. Oops.

Where do you grab your nuts from?

I been getting some mixed nuts from tesco but they seem pricey, is there a special money saving place to go for nuts and seeds?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure