Is my diet why i feel tired most days? What am i missing?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
54 replies 11.2K views
WannaBLoadedWannaBLoaded
447 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
Presumably some healthy peeps on this thread that are good with diet.
I feel tired and i think i am missing a key food stuff but don't know what

My diet is healthy compared to most peoples, i eat a few naughty bars of choc etc but most of the time for dinner i have salad and chicken followed by fruit and tesco flavoured water (how exciting)

I have about 500g of chicken breast, no skin on, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion and a squeeze of lemon. I am able to eat this of a night because i get more time to make something. It fills me up because its basically a mountain of meat and salad.

In the day i usually have either low fat yogurt for breakfast, sometimes nothing, and lunch can be a bar of choc and a bag of crisps if i am out working, otherwise it would be fruit, meat and salad similar to dinner time :o but today for lunch i had a sweet potato with the skin on mmmm and some chicken and some apples for pudding :D

But i do not have energy, i know it is a low carb diet, almost no carb with the exception of sweet potato and crisps now and then.

The reason i started eating like this was because i went through a phase of takeaways and went up to a size 34 waist but managed to get myself down to size 32 over a year ago and i am also trying to build a bit of muscle.

What am i doing wrong?

Replies

• If you're female have you had your thyroid tested? As I was exhausted all day every day and then had a blood test and found my thyroid was wrong
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • Your only carbs are empty carbs, and you aren't getting a good range of fruit and vegetables. You have no red meat and nothing else containing iron.

Maybe try chucking some wholewheat pasta/brown rice/quinoa into that salad. Add peppers, kale and spinach. Snack on fruit (I LOVE the dried cranberry and yogurt pots from Asda!) and try biltong or jerky. Have a steak now and again.

Basically, mix it up! :)

Are you drinking enough fluids and what exercise do you do?

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Starmer4PM #Bremainer
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But i do not have energy, i know it is a low carb diet, almost no carb with the exception of sweet potato and crisps now and then.

It also sounds very low fat - do you eat any fats?
  • But i do not have energy, i know it is a low carb diet, almost no carb with the exception of sweet potato and crisps now and then.

What am i doing wrong?

I think you have answered your own question... you are not eating enough carbs.
  • Also - guys can have thyroid problems also! As well as low iron. . . .these are two common causes of fatigue that can be missed.

But hopefully it's just not enough carbs. That provides you with an easier solution!
  • ratraceratrace Forumite
    933 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi op,

Mate im also 27 years old male, i know where your coming from, what you need is to consume carbs with good fats

a few easy thing you can do from the off is when your having your salad just add some olive oil to your salad, the same when your having a yogurt just add 1 - 2 teaspoons of flaxseeds they again are good fats, your BRAIN needs fats to fuction

cut out the refined sugers i know a choc bar is very easy and convient to eat but they are just empty blood suger spiking carbs

If your looking to add some muscle on then make sure you eat good quality foods otherwise all that effort in the gym wont get the results your after

Good luck lad
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • Your only carbs are empty carbs, and you aren't getting a good range of fruit and vegetables. You have no red meat and nothing else containing iron.

Maybe try chucking some wholewheat pasta/brown rice/quinoa into that salad. Add peppers, kale and spinach. Snack on fruit (I LOVE the dried cranberry and yogurt pots from Asda!) and try biltong or jerky. Have a steak now and again.

Basically, mix it up! :)

Are you drinking enough fluids and what exercise do you do?

HBS x

Ok, so i need something with the salad and meat like rice or pasta, but how much is the right volume in order to avoid over doing it on carbs. I don't mind brown rice but they seem to sell it in big bags. Does rice go with salad? :D I haven't had pasta in years so that is a tempter!

Most of the salad i make is just the basic stuff like tomato, cucumber, onion and lettuce, i sometimes put in a pepper but haven't for months. I think i get put off buying peppers because they seem to be like 50 pence each on average :eek: and is it ok to eat the whole pepper in one sitting? Or would that be eating too much pepper?

Funny thing is i used to eat stake every day, frying it but then i bought a halogen oven and started eating chicken because i heard it was the best as long as you took the skin off.

Hard to eat healthy, and not cheap either! I probably end up chucking a few quids worth of stale salad and fruit away each week.

I drink water until it comes out of my ears, i am also a sucker for pepsi max but cut down on that big time. Most of the exercise i do is at home, crunches, push ups but i am going to start going to start jogging. Trouble is by the end of the day with work etc i feel tired so will need to sort my diet out first.

I need to work out a healthy but filling breakfast, lunch at work and a good dinner routine, but it needs to be easy and quick to make.
    Mojisola wrote: »
    It also sounds very low fat - do you eat any fats?

It must be, as i say the odd bar of choc and crisps but that isn't much fat and for dinner probable little or no fat unless there is some in the chicken.

I don't know what food has the good fat in it and how much i should be eating.

I was never taught this stuff at school.
    ratrace wrote: »
    Hi op,

Mate im also 27 years old male, i know where your coming from, what you need is to consume carbs with good fats

a few easy thing you can do from the off is when your having your salad just add some olive oil to your salad, the same when your having a yogurt just add 1 - 2 teaspoons of flaxseeds they again are good fats, your BRAIN needs fats to fuction

cut out the refined sugers i know a choc bar is very easy and convient to eat but they are just empty blood suger spiking carbs

If your looking to add some muscle on then make sure you eat good quality foods otherwise all that effort in the gym wont get the results your after

Good luck lad

What is your typical diet then :D over a day?
  • silverwhistlesilverwhistle Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, choc and a bag of crisps for lunch is not eating healthily!:-) I'd have a bit of slow burn muesli in the morning - doesn't have to be a lot. My first thought before other people commented was lack of iron. Perhaps some lambs liver occasionally - you only need about 125 grams for a decent serving, with some onion for flavour and mash (or a few new pots) for padding/filling. Occasionally some pulses would be good for protein, minerals and fibre.
  • edited 16 October 2015 at 3:15PM
    edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 October 2015 at 3:15PM
    I know you are looking for easy meals so how about making a whole wheat pasta salad with maybe tuna in Olive Oil. You could make a triple batch of pasta and separate it in to 3 portions, add the salad to each and the Tuna or maybe some chicken. That way you will have 3 healthy lunches ready to take to work for lunch rather than having the chocolate or the crisps.

The trouble with low carb diets is that they can make you really hungry and then you end up snacking on unhealthy foods.

Maybe if you are in a rush in the morning why not have a banana and a little packet of raisins. Take your already prepared tuna pasta salad for your lunch. Then in the evening you could have a wholemeal pitta wrap (they are really cheap) with sliced steak in with something like rocket salad. The wrap will have loads of iron in it from the meat.

Maybe get some beetroot to go in your salads, black/red grapes to snack on, wholemeal breakfast cereals are now fortified with minerals and iron, nuts like almonds are very good with good oils in.

Hope that is some help to you.
    *3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter
    *Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating
    *2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - Hybrid Toyota Auris car
    1 Cayuga duck Hoppy & 14 ex-battery hens - RIP Pingu
    Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12