Options

Comments

• ranciduk
    ranciduk Posts: 666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 October 2022 at 3:45PM
    Options
    I wish!

so the money I’m earning from wages this year - I.e. before April , has no effect on the savings interest I will get next July/November?

It’s only wages earned AFTER April which effects the interest - which in my case will be nothing?
  • MA260
    MA260 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is worth monitoring your interest though out the year in Non ISA accounts as with much higher interest rates many will likely go into tax in 2022/23. There are ways to spread the interest short term before the next tax year. For instance having interest paid monthly , or in accounts where the interest is paid in the next tax year,  there might be the option of closing the account before the end of the tax year to force the interest to be paid this tax year.
  • Notepad_Phil
    Notepad_Phil Posts: 1,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 October 2022 at 3:59PM
    Options
    ranciduk said:
    I wish!

so the money I’m earning from wages this year - I.e. before April , has no effect on the savings interest I will get next July/November?

It’s only wages earned AFTER April which effects the interest - which in my case will be nothing?
    The interest you receive in the April 6th 2023 to April 5th 2024 tax year are only affected by the income you receive in the same tax year - so if you'll definitely have zero income then you'll be fine. Note, when I retired I actually had a couple of additional payslips after my last official one, so you might actually have a little income, but if you're on a normalish income then it will be fine.
  • ranciduk
    ranciduk Posts: 666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Phew!

Thanks a lot for clearing that up

appreciate it 👍
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 October 2022 at 12:26PM
    Options
    ranciduk said:
    Please can someone clarify my situation.

It all depends upon what happens to your circumstances in Tax Year 6th April 2023 to 5th April 2024.  With no other taxable income in that Tax Year you will owe no tax.  Things can happen, though.  That's the problem with the future.  For example, what you do with the results of your bond maturities.
  • D_M_C_L
    Options
    The MSE article on "PSA and long-term fixed rate accounts" still states that interest will be included in the tax calculation only when it is "accessible" at the end of the term and not in the years when interest is credited to the savings account.
    Comments on this forum differ but I would suggest the majority view is that HMRC are including interest in the tax calculation each year and NOT waiting till the end of the term. This is certainly my experience of HMRC and I wonder if the MSE article should be amended.
    What are other people finding?  
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    D_M_C_L said:
    The MSE article on "PSA and long-term fixed rate accounts" still states that interest will be included in the tax calculation only when it is "accessible" at the end of the term and not in the years when interest is credited to the savings account.
    Comments on this forum differ but I would suggest the majority view is that HMRC are including interest in the tax calculation each year and NOT waiting till the end of the term. This is certainly my experience of HMRC and I wonder if the MSE article should be amended.
    What are other people finding?  
    I think ultimately it is all down to when the bank/building society reports the interest to HMRC.
  • taxman1234
    taxman1234 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here's a wee question from a thicko.

My income from work pension is only £5k
    I have savings interest of £6k.

£11k in total.

Will I have to pay any tax on this?

I am assuming no tax because:

Pension covered by normal tax code?
    And savings covered by PSA....the low income £5k plus the £1k savings allowance?

Am I totally wrong?

Thanks

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

£11k in total.

And savings covered by PSA....the low income £5k plus the £1k savings allowance?

Am I totally wrong?

Thanks
    Right answer (no tax) but wrong reason - all of your income (assuming nothing else unmentioned) falls within your personal tax allowance of £12,570, so none of the savings-related nil rate bands come into play.
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 2,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

£11k in total.

Am I totally wrong?

Thanks

Personal tax code £12,570 be it earnings and interest.
    Plus £5,000 starter savings rate,
    Plus £1,000 personal savings allowance.

£18,570 in total tax free.
    So you have £7,570 to spare, before you would pay any tax.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback