MSE News: Tesco launches instant price match guarantee

Comments

• dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 October 2015 at 12:09PM
    huggychair wrote: »
    Instantly, Instantly! as long as you buy 10 different branded items and at least 1 one of them just happens to be 'on their list'. That's quite a narrow Venn diagram.

NO
    You need at least 10 different items in your basket - of which 1 of them is branded/comparable.
  • huggychair
    huggychair Posts: 154 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2015 at 5:00PM
    Yes, but they don't instantly know what is 'comparable' before (A) compiling a list of products to 'watch' for comparison (B) filtering it through their systems. (C) Vetting whether or not it is comparable then (D) posting it on their system as an item that 'matches' this.

Fluctuating prices will mean this in is all provado, only a few (if you're lucky) items will be valid within the items you've bought.

That's providing they weren't own brand products, were not on their 'watch list applicable basket branded items' and hadn't lowered the price already.

Edit: Also, as any stalwart MSE'r will tell you Mr. T only revises his price once a day, thus it's potentially 48hrs behind, even after that vetting process.
    :cool: :A
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Heinz Tomato soup is supposed to be 95p, full price.

Waitrose is doing 3 tins for £2.
    Now, because it is on my MyWaitrose list of ten items, I get 20% off, so 3 tins for £1.60.
    I can then pay with the TSB 5% cashback Contactless debit card, so it's three tins for £1.52 .

With Sainsburys, it's 60p per tin, down from 95p.
    I had a spend £15, get £2.25 discount coupon = 15% off.
    Santander has a 5% cashback deal, one off only, for Sainsburys.
    This means 3 tins cost 60p x 3 x 0.85 x 0.95 = £1.45

Tesco is selling at 60p per tin, and I can pay with the TSB 5% cashback card, so it's 60p x 3 x 0.95 = £1.71

I did buy 3 tins from Waitrose, and then 3 tins from Sainsburys, as described.
    Price Match wouldn't have helped.
  • spidystrider
    spidystrider Posts: 1,246 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 20 October 2015 at 2:07PM
    I must be looking at things wrong because I still love Tesco and I'm a loyal customer of around 25 years. Yesterday I saved £13.11 due to their brand match guarantee.

I do an online shop on a Monday and a Wednesday and pay for delivery saver. On a Sunday night I look on Asda's website and Tesco's. I find all the things I want on Asda that are on special offer and if they're not on offer at Tesco, I buy them. I only buy the brands that I really want and still buy own and value brands. On a Wednesday, I buy all my Tesco special offers and same priced items.

On the old price promise I usually saved between £7 and £10. This week it was £13.11. My weekly shop costs between £85 to £95 for a family of 5 and a dog. This week it will be around £76, which I'm happy with.
    I also love my clubcard vouchers and usually get around £100 worth a year, although I do get extra points for being a clubcard plus member. I double these up and this helps me buy things throughout the year and at Christmas time.
    I really don't think I could do much better unless I wanted to go round all the different shops buying my items.
    Mortgage Free in 3-T2 : Started at £151,000 Nov. 2009 Mortgage Free Oct 1st 2015 :)
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I must be looking at things wrong because
    The way you look at things can make a big difference.
    Yesterday I saved £13.11 due to their brand match guarantee.
    So Tesco are charging £13.11 more for the same items than their competitors.
    Assuming your £76 is after you've taken off the 'overcharge', that means your Tesco shop cost over 17% more than the competitor.:eek:

This week it will be around £76,
    Shop at Asda and get an extra 10%, so even if it cost £76 there, you'd get a voucher for £7.60

I also love my clubcard vouchers and usually get around £100 worth a year,
    But you could have saved £7.60 in one week. Do that every week and you'll save almost £400 during the year.
  • I agree. Most money savers don't buy branded food which they won't Brand Match on!

Also kills the "Wombling" industry at Tesco, so people can't pick up discarded Price Promise coupons to save money for themselves.

Would not surprise me if Asda/Sainsbury's followed suit soon though too. Hopefully their policies are better
    :money: Keep calm and carry on couponing! :money:
  • spidystrider
    spidystrider Posts: 1,246 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 20 October 2015 at 4:41PM
    VoucherMan wrote: »

Shop at Asda and get an extra 10%, so even if it cost £76 there, you'd get a voucher for £7.60

But you could have saved £7.60 in one week. Do that every week and you'll save almost £400 during the year.

So Asda give you 10% off your shopping as a voucher. I've never heard of that. I will have to take a closer looks.

Thanks VoucherMan :)

Okay I have taken a look :) If I had paid full price in Tesco, my bill would have been £89, so Asda would have to come in at £80.10 or they would have to give me a voucher for £8.90. I think that's right.
    Mortgage Free in 3-T2 : Started at £151,000 Nov. 2009 Mortgage Free Oct 1st 2015 :)
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    Okay I have taken a look :) If I had paid full price in Tesco, my bill would have been £89, so Asda would have to come in at £80.10 or they would have to give me a voucher for £8.90. I think that's right.
    Not quite, for example if the bill at Asda was £85, you'd get a voucher for (£85-£80.10)=£4.90. It's not just Tesco they compare with, but Tesco, Sainsbury's, Morrisons and Waitrose.
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    rogerblack wrote: »
    In principle, as I understand it, 10 items for this offer, not 10 comparable branded items.
    That must be so, as this week's shop was quite a small one, yet I had 25p deducted because of the offer. I only had about 15 items and most were fruit, veg, bakery bread and milk.
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    So Asda give you 10% off your shopping as a voucher. I've never heard of that. I will have to take a closer looks.

Also, they don't actually give you a voucher. You have to enter your receipt details on their APG website, and print your own voucher.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure