2 bed flat & water meter

So we have just moved from a 1 bed flat without a meter to a 2 bed flat with a meter. We were paying £26 a month for the one bed flat but our bill for the 2 bed flat is £47 a month.

We are still only 2 people but I suppose as it's an estimate they think more people live here or are going off the last tenants. Before we left our last flat we got a new bill which they had calculated as a 2 bed and it was something like £68 every 2 months or 4 months (I can't remember).

I suppose that once they have actual reading then I will be in a better position to compare prices. I hate that with southern water you don't actually have an online account, you can submit readings etc but can't view account details.
Student nurse 2018 to 2020
Debt: DMP (with Payplan) £8194 - 6.6 years left

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,573
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 October 2015 at 7:40AM
    Try reading your meter yourself on a regular basis so you know what you are using - it makes it easier to control your consumption rather than waiting for a bill to come in - by which time it's too late as you've already used it. Regular readings also highlight any problems like leaking cisterns etc

There are ways of reducing your consumption, like only using the washing machine, & dishwasher when they are full. Don't let water run down the sink when washing, rinsing or cleaning your teeth.

Shorter showers, shallower baths or fewer of them will also make a significant difference - fit flow restrictors on your taps and shower to reduce the volume of water.

You don't need an online account - just set up a spreadsheet and keep your own. The same with leccy & gas. If you monitor it yourself you can then control your consumption & costs. 5-10 minutes a month reading meters and checking your bills, direct debits and bank statements could save you months of grief in the future
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 October 2015 at 8:26AM
    So we have just moved from a 1 bed flat without a meter to a 2 bed flat with a meter. We were paying £26 a month for the one bed flat but our bill for the 2 bed flat is £47 a month.

We are still only 2 people but I suppose as it's an estimate they think more people live here or are going off the last tenants. Before we left our last flat we got a new bill which they had calculated as a 2 bed and it was something like £68 every 2 months or 4 months (I can't remember).

I suppose that once they have actual reading then I will be in a better position to compare prices. I hate that with southern water you don't actually have an online account, you can submit readings etc but can't view account details.

Have a look at the suppliers website.
    It will tell you their tariff details, and provide you with an estimate of how much water on average you will consume (typically based on number of persons in property)

Work out what the annual cost will be, and divide by 12.

If the answer doesn't come anywhere close to £47, contact the supplier showing all your working out in full (as my maths teacher used to always say)

Why were you getting billed for a 2 bed flat previously when you say it was only a 1 bed flat?
    Non metered water supplies should be charged based on the rateable value of the property, not the number of bedrooms it has.
  • Don't know how none metered properties are billed. Just the latest bill arrived at a higher price then I noticed it was classed as 2 beds so I contacted them and they changed it.

I have doing reading each week and submitting them.
    Student nurse 2018 to 2020
    Debt: DMP (with Payplan) £8194 - 6.6 years left
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Don't know how none metered properties are billed.

>>Its based upon rateable value .
    Generally more expensive for most than a meter .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure