🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

2016 no tax on first £1000 interest earned

Options

Comments

• Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Frogletina wrote: »
    it should still be the case that even if I go over the £1000 interest, it would not be worth moving my money out of my higher interest accounts.
    That's right! There's no change to the logic, just an extra £200 tax saved, or no point at all in cash ISAs if the interest will be under £1000.

Depending on your time-scales, an S&S ISA may be worthwhile.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • tg99
    tg99 Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    One easy way to determine whether you should keep records of interest earned and tax deducted is to ask yourself the following question: do you keep any money in an account that pays interest?

You always know you are going to need to keep annual interest summaries or bank statements covering the past 6 years because anyone can be subjected to an HMRC investigation where this information will be required.

Most banks automatically provide this information and most banks also allow you to access bank statements going back several years, so I don't see that obtaining this information is going to be difficult. There is no time like the present to start gathering this information.

Where does the 6 years come from as thought it was 22 months after the end of the tax year you had to keep records?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,566 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 October 2015 at 9:58PM
    Options
    tg99 wrote: »
    Where does the 6 years come from as thought it was 22 months after the end of the tax year you had to keep records?
    Where does the "22 months after the end of the tax year" come from?

For negligent behaviour, HMRC can assess back up to 6 years for unpaid tax (as it is difficult to prove you've taken reasonable care). In practice the 20 year limit is applied to deliberate evasion, I believe. So if you don't have records going back 6 years, you are not in a position to challenge any tax HMRC claim you underpaid.

http://taxaid.org.uk/guides/taxpayers/undeclared-income/step-3-higher-level-of-undeclared-income
    How many years will HM Revenue and Customs go back?
    The time limits are:
    4 years in all circumstances where the taxpayer has taken reasonable care to submit a correct return
    6 years in all circumstances where the taxpayer has failed to take reasonable care
    20 years where the taxpayer has failed to notify liability, or has deliberately understated a tax liability
  • tg99
    tg99 Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    Where does the "22 months after the end of the tax year" come from?

For negligent behaviour, HMRC can assess back up to 6 years for unpaid tax (as it is difficult to prove you've taken reasonable care). In practice the 20 year limit is applied to deliberate evasion, I believe. So if you don't have records going back 6 years, you are not in a position to challenge any tax HMRC claim you underpaid.

http://taxaid.org.uk/guides/taxpayers/undeclared-income/step-3-higher-level-of-undeclared-income

22 months from here:

https://www.gov.uk/keeping-your-pay-tax-records/how-long-to-keep-your-records
  • masonic
    Options
    tg99 wrote: »
    That's if you send a tax return (in which case you've already provided the information to HMRC). Those people who think they might accidentally go over the £1,000 allowance without noticing are unlikely to be submitting returns as they'd be forced to add up the interest they earned if they did. I'd still keep records for 6 years, even if filing a return. Otherwise, what comeback would you have if there were a mix up or dispute?
  • MiserlyMartin
    Options
    OK so I understand ISA's are not treated as part of the £1000 allowance, but what about NS & I index linked savings certificates etc.?

I've seen no discussion about this anywhere. OK its not an ISA, but they are tax free. They ought not to be included!
  • masonic
    Options
    OK so I understand ISA's are not treated as part of the £1000 allowance, but what about NS & I index linked savings certificates etc.?

I've seen no discussion about this anywhere. OK its not an ISA, but they are tax free. They ought not to be included!
    Only taxable interest is included.
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One aspect of all this that hasn't been touched on much is the situation of the BR taxpayers who have succeeded in getting themselves off the annual return system - earned income under PAYE, interest taxed at 20%, etc as defined in the following:

https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax-returns/who-must-send-a-tax-return

It's a huge relief not having to be bothered with HMRC and I for one will be ensuring my 'qualifying under the new rules' interest is very little more than £1000, if that! Whatever loss that entails will be small and well worth it!
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you are vastly over-dramatising what it means to make a self-assessment tax return if your affairs consist of salary/pension and savings interest only. For those people, it takes in the region of 5, max 10, minutes to submit an online return once a year.

To say you'd keep your savings interest below £1,000 just so you can avoid a tax return seems like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

If your affairs are more complex, e.g. if you have income from BTL or foreign income, you most likely don't have a choice anyway and have to submit a tax return.

There is also a possibility that we will have online tax accounts by the time we need to declare our income for the tax year 2016-17. That's not before sometime in mid-2017 at the earliest, so a very long time away still.
  • bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    Options
    steve65e wrote: »
    No, I'm pretty sure thats going, to be replaced by the new £1k allowance.

No it's not, the £5,000 tax free interest applies to people who earn about the tax free allowance of £10.6k, £11k next year. So this year if your total income is less than £15.6k it's all tax free, next year it will obviously be £16k.

Then on top of that you can get £1,000 tax free interest.

Marvelous innit!

Cheers fj
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills