2016 no tax on first £1000 interest earned

Options

Comments

• gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So could my wife have £11k of pension income, £5k of dividend income (within allowance), and £5k of interest income?

And is this interest income only bank interest? Would income from corporate bonds be treated as earned income, so eat into the interest income?

They need to release a calculator!
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • patanne
    patanne Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Options
    I am seriously hoping that this will mean that my pension of £14k obviously taxable will mean that my interest on savings (which lets face it is peanuts at the moment) is not taxable. But we will see or not.
  • chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    So could my wife have £11k of pension income, £5k of dividend income (within allowance), and £5k of interest income?

I suspect not - if divvie income is treated as taxable income, as I was reminded in an earlier post, the interest allowance is reduced pound for pound as the taxable income exceeds the personal threshold. So, in your example, the interest allowance would be completely trumped by the divvie income.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    patanne wrote: »
    I am seriously hoping that this will mean that my pension of £14k obviously taxable will mean that my interest on savings (which lets face it is peanuts at the moment) is not taxable. But we will see or not.

Did you read this: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/414026/Savings_factographic_final.pdf

It's pretty clear.
  • KGriff
    KGriff Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options

And is this interest income only bank interest? Would income from corporate bonds be treated as earned income, so eat into the interest income?

I think this link may help clarify things about earnings from dividends pre and post April 2016:

http://monevator.com/how-uk-dividends-are-taxed/
  • grey_gym_sock
    Options
    chris_m wrote: »
    I suspect not - if divvie income is treated as taxable income, as I was reminded in an earlier post, the interest allowance is reduced pound for pound as the taxable income exceeds the personal threshold. So, in your example, the interest allowance would be completely trumped by the divvie income.

i disagree, because dividends are treated as the top slice of income, interest as the middle slice, and just about everything else as the lowest slice (think of income tax as a 3-layer cake ... mmmmm, cake). so the amount of dividends has no effect on whether the interest falls within the £11k-16k band (where the rate will be 0% for interest). so i think the answer is yes.

i wonder whether you will be able to use both the £5k zero-rate band and the £1k (for a basic-rate taxpayer) savings allowance. though i'm now guessing you won't be able to, on the grounds that that would be analogous to the way the dividend tax allowance will work (according the illustrative examples that were published).

i think it's all interest. interest has all been grouped together in previous tax calculations.

i'm not sure if somebody mentioned trying this, but you can use online self-assessment for last tax year to test scenarios (and then make a revised submission with the correct figures for last year). the zero-rate band for interest is just the 10%-starting-rate with a different rate (and it's now a wider band), so if you get 10% applied to interest in 2014-15, you'll presumably get 0% in 2015-16 onwards.

however, the savings allowance is new (as is the dividend allowance), so you can't test that yet.
  • Carnival789
    Options
    Just to throw this into the mix - presumably the monthly £5 from halifax will be exempt from being part of our annual interest totals?

either way, I'm not looking forward to having keep a record of all interest payments received throughout the year (and then having to fill out forms etc for the self-declaration part). Oh well, I will just have to think of the money it's saved me overall !
  • gadgetmind
    Options
    We've always had to track this for our Self Assessments so nothing new really.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Carnival789
    Options
    Ah ok... It's going to be my first time of having to, when the time eventually comes!

Is the process pretty straightforward if you don't mind me asking?
  • gadgetmind
    Options
    Yes, pretty easy, but it takes a while to get registered, so don't leave it too late.

But for small amounts of interest, you can just call up and get your tax code tweaked.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure