We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

TalkTalk - How were you notified of increase?

Hi,

Just wondering how you were informed of the talktalk price increase if you have online billing? I received an email earlier in the year notifying me of the first price increase but I didn't have another one for the Oct price increase. I got in touch with them on the online chat service today as I noticed online that the prices were going up and the adviser confirmed that I'd received the email for the price rise earlier in the year but not the second one for the latest price rise.

My broadband is very slow - just checked and it's 1.36mbps and it gets slower than that. I'm fed up of the rubbish service which I'd reported before so I asked to terminate the contract based on the price rise that I only found out today through their adviser and that the service is so bad.

They told me that I couldn't do that as it was over 30 days since the notification but I explained again I didn't have the email which they confirmed earlier in the conversation. They then transferred me to the manager who then told me it was on my Sept bill. I asked him to tell me where on the bill as I couldn't see it then he said he would guide me to it. He came back a few mins later and said it was on the Sept bill email - the chat window then disappeared!

If it was on the Sept bill email then I know I'm stuck but if it was a separate email like the one earlier in the year then I haven't been notified and surely that means that I could cancel?

If anyone has got how they were notified in Sept and could let me know I would be really grateful :)

Comments

  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2015 at 7:56AM
    Hi,

    Just wondering how you were informed of the talktalk price increase if you have online billing? I received an email earlier in the year notifying me of the first price increase but I didn't have another one for the Oct price increase. I got in touch with them on the online chat service today as I noticed online that the prices were going up and the adviser confirmed that I'd received the email for the price rise earlier in the year but not the second one for the latest price rise.

    My broadband is very slow - just checked and it's 1.36mbps and it gets slower than that. I'm fed up of the rubbish service which I'd reported before so I asked to terminate the contract based on the price rise that I only found out today through their adviser and that the service is so bad.

    They told me that I couldn't do that as it was over 30 days since the notification but I explained again I didn't have the email which they confirmed earlier in the conversation. They then transferred me to the manager who then told me it was on my Sept bill. I asked him to tell me where on the bill as I couldn't see it then he said he would guide me to it. He came back a few mins later and said it was on the Sept bill email - the chat window then disappeared!

    If it was on the Sept bill email then I know I'm stuck but if it was a separate email like the one earlier in the year then I haven't been notified and surely that means that I could cancel?

    If anyone has got how they were notified in Sept and could let me know I would be really grateful :)
    I'm out of contract, by 12 months and line rental is due next month.:(
    I have not received an e-mail for any rise october or before.
    Had Generic letter about new deals.
    The rises were not on my Bill/e-mail, that I noticed.
    I've been expecting one.
    I phoned the chat line a few weeks ago, trying to beat the line increase,but, too early.60 days max.
    They never mentioned then any rises to plans, only my line increase to £191, from £172 last year.
    She Wanted me to sign a new contract then, I said I would wait till my Line was due, upfront.
    Been with them 15 years, from aol, cpw, TT, no problems.other than normal blips;
    No increases for years.?
    BUT, by the threads here, aint looking good.
    I'm expecting an increase, only paying £2 pm, for unlimited BB and anytime, unlimited phone calls+ £5 boost for Mobiles,.+ line.
    Been that same price for years now, never changed.
    Tempting fate.????????
    I'm in for a shock.
    Checked my A/c yesterday, no notice there.Not on a plan at all.?
    I don't see the point of a contract now, they can just change prices at will.?
    Luckily not mine, so far:)
  • Thank you for replying! :)

    I'm going to send an email to their complaints now - when I signed up I thought it was a bargain, lesson learned! I've gone to the slowest internet I've ever had and two price rises within months so the offer I signed up to was very misleading!
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    I am now out of contract and will be leaving. The person in town is telling people they are the cheapest and when I pointed out they were selling package with current prices and not telling people about the increase they looked quite sheepish. Technically they are not lying as price increase not in effect yet.

    My internet had gone from bad to worse with them and they offered to solve it by offering me an upgrade that would cost £5 extra a month! Said they would transfer to retentions to see what offer they could do me, after a twenty minute wait I hung up, sorry talk talk but if you really wanted my business you'd do better than this.
    Don’t put it down - put it away!

    2026
    1p Savings Challenge- 0/365
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Hi,

    Just wondering how you were informed of the talktalk price increase if you have online billing? I received an email earlier in the year notifying me of the first price increase but I didn't have another one for the Oct price increase. I got in touch with them on the online chat service today as I noticed online that the prices were going up and the adviser confirmed that I'd received the email for the price rise earlier in the year but not the second one for the latest price rise.

    My broadband is very slow - just checked and it's 1.36mbps and it gets slower than that. I'm fed up of the rubbish service which I'd reported before so I asked to terminate the contract based on the price rise that I only found out today through their adviser and that the service is so bad.

    They told me that I couldn't do that as it was over 30 days since the notification but I explained again I didn't have the email which they confirmed earlier in the conversation. They then transferred me to the manager who then told me it was on my Sept bill. I asked him to tell me where on the bill as I couldn't see it then he said he would guide me to it. He came back a few mins later and said it was on the Sept bill email - the chat window then disappeared!

    If it was on the Sept bill email then I know I'm stuck but if it was a separate email like the one earlier in the year then I haven't been notified and surely that means that I could cancel?

    If anyone has got how they were notified in Sept and could let me know I would be really grateful :)
    Have your bills actually gone up?
    If so, by hat and when, whilst in contract.
    I knew there were 2 expected rises, early spring, and October 1st, read them in their T/cs. However, I seem to have been overlooked, for spring one, but, as My billing date is the 16th, I may yet get a shock rise in my next bill.Without an e-mail.:(
    I don't know if they are obliged to e-mail you? if not in contract, like me, as I can leave anytime penalty free:rotfl:
    The new £7.50 offer, is actually what I.m getting for £2, just they have been giving me a £5 long standing loyalty bonus, from Aol days, which I think will end, and then go up to £10+.being an
    EX aol Plat user.+ £5 for mobiles unlimited.+ line
    Don't know if that's expensive, to others.??
  • Mike_J
    Mike_J Posts: 998 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Given that my comment is "what October price increase?" you ca work out my answer to teh original question. My contract has just ended so Im on the look out for an ISP. Never had an issue with TT and price wise they have been the cheapest but recently BB speed has been dire. Just wondering if its a case of "better the devil" and blag another 12month deal out of them.
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I am with TT in a minimum contract period, and I did receive e-mail notification of the tariff changes. I have a good service and excellent discounts, so I chose not to terminate my contract. I get the impression that TT tailor the tariff change e-mails close to the customer's contract situation.
    It would not surprise me at all if customers to whom a penalty-free early termination is not applicable did not receive an e-mail to notify them of a tariff change.
    All they are obliged to do is to inform customer of the direct debit amount a few days before the DD date.
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    edited 12 October 2015 at 7:45AM
    Mike_J wrote: »
    Given that my comment is "what October price increase?" you ca work out my answer to teh original question. My contract has just ended so Im on the look out for an ISP. Never had an issue with TT and price wise they have been the cheapest but recently BB speed has been dire. Just wondering if its a case of "better the devil" and blag another 12month deal out of them.
    I have the new offers,letter,( not e-mail,) and they are2 x 18 month contracts, not 12 months.there's a 6 month one,tv/bb/and calls, and all 3 are £7.50 pm.
    It's better if one can have a 12 month and line rental that expire at the same time, as the 18 months only causes hassle, when they hit you half way through the 2nd term of line rental with a new contract again.
    Looking at this board, I'm thinking, better the devil you know.
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Hi All,

    You can find full information on the price rises on our online help site http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/important-update-our-price-changes

    Notifications should be sent via an additional email around your bill date.

    Cheers

    Mark
    Social Customer Care Team
    TalkTalk
    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.