We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

TALK TALK charging a termination fee, after notification within 30 days of price rise

2»

Comments

  • Spidernick
    Spidernick Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    helenmcr wrote: »
    As soon as she said that I knew she was about to fob me off and ACCIDENTLY hang up

    Yes, they have form with this and I experienced this on many occasions when I was with them years ago. 'Nice' to see they are as bad as ever. Awful, awful, company - avoid like the plague!
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

    Sky? Believe in better.

    Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,736 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    When an account disconnects the ETC is raised automatically.

    Given that the ETC isn't always applicable I can only assume Talktalk hope they can bully people into paying this.
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    FINALLY resolved ..... even though NOBODY from Talk Talk has contacted me about this problem.

    The "Contract Breakage Fee" has been credited back to my account

    I have now cancelled my Direct Debit and am finally free from Talk Talk
    NEVER AGAIN will I have anything from them - totally useless company

    Hi DynasticDux,

    IM glad to see this has been resolved. Do you know who applied the credit to the account, was this from your contact on twitter as I understand from your last post that the Social Teams were investigating into this for you already?

    @Helenmcr - If you post on the TalkTalk Community or Tweet us @TalkTalkCare we can look into this for you. We will need to confirm some information to identify your account then we can investigate further.

    @pmduk - As per my post it is raised automatically unless a waiver is manually applied to the account. The waiver is applied by Loyalty agents when you call to notify us of the disconnection. If you leave without contact then the fee will apply automatically.

    Cheers

    Mark
    Social Customer Care Team
    TalkTalk
    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • DynasticDux
    DynasticDux Posts: 3,549 Forumite
    Hi DynasticDux,

    IM glad to see this has been resolved. Do you know who applied the credit to the account, was this from your contact on twitter as I understand from your last post that the Social Teams were investigating into this for you already?

    I have no idea - nobody ever contacted me to say this had been done ... I just saw it applied to my account
    @pmduk - As per my post it is raised automatically unless a waiver is manually applied to the account. The waiver is applied by Loyalty agents when you call to notify us of the disconnection. If you leave without contact then the fee will apply automatically.

    I did contact you regarding termination of contract and I have a recorded message stating I could leave penalty free (as I recorded the call myself - check my call, I stated I was also recording the call)
    But yet you still applied the Contract Breakage Fee to my account.
  • DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    So there you have it

    An admission from the OFFICIAL from Talk Talk

    This HAS to be grounds for an OFCOM investigation.

    The system automatically charges you a fee UNLESS you contact them AGAIN and ask for it to be credited.

    Now bear in mind that when you break the contract you already contacted them.


    AND you state that the reason for leaving is due to a price increase

    So you are already telling them that but unless you query the charge they will bill you

    TalkTalk is the one raising the price so it know when it is with X days of a price increase

    This HAS to be wrong, the TalkTalk system should be programmed to either not apply the charge or credit it automatically when TalkTalk is in a period when customers are allowed to exit without charge.

    Thanks Mark for providing the official evidence required to take this further with OFCOM




    @pmduk - As per my post it is raised automatically unless a waiver is manually applied to the account. The waiver is applied by Loyalty agents when you call to notify us of the disconnection. If you leave without contact then the fee will apply automatically.

    Cheers

    Mark
    Social Customer Care Team
    TalkTalk

    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    So there you have it

    An admission from the OFFICIAL from Talk Talk

    This HAS to be grounds for an OFCOM investigation.

    The system automatically charges you a fee UNLESS you contact them AGAIN and ask for it to be credited.

    Now bear in mind that when you break the contract you already contacted them.


    AND you state that the reason for leaving is due to a price increase

    So you are already telling them that but unless you query the charge they will bill you

    TalkTalk is the one raising the price so it know when it is with X days of a price increase

    This HAS to be wrong, the TalkTalk system should be programmed to either not apply the charge or credit it automatically when TalkTalk is in a period when customers are allowed to exit without charge.

    Thanks Mark for providing the official evidence required to take this further with OFCOM


    Hi David,

    Please do not misunderstand my post, you don't have to contact us "again to ask for it to be credited".

    You only need to contact us once, before the line disconnects (as stipulated by the terms and conditions of the services).

    Let me be clear to ensure we are on the same page:

    The Early Termination fee is applied to the account automatically, unless you contact us in advance to have it waived manually. This isn't crediting back a charge, its suppressing its application in the first place, before the line disconnects.

    In cases where it is applicable to have the cessation fee waived, such as the price rises example you have given, there is always the condition that you have to contact us before you disconnect. For price rises that must be within 30 days of notification of the change. The fee is then waived by a Loyalty agent, preventing the fee from being charged when the line disconnects.

    If you do not contact us before you leave, the fee is applied automatically, as is applicable under the terms of the service i.e you leave before the end of the contract term, so the fee is applied.


    If you have been advised the fee would be waived, you should never see this on a bill, there should be no need for a second contact or a credit to be applied.

    Cheers

    Mark
    Social Customer Care Team
    TalkTalk
    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.