Wireless question from the States

Options
First time poster..Live in America and visiting the UK next week for a month and bringing my laptop with me. Where I am renting they don't have a phone line so installed a wireless Lan Cardbus PC Card(802.11b). Mostly going to be in the Eastbourne area and checked the hotspots and there are a few nearby, between 0.5 miles to one mile away..Is this likely to work? Also would I have to download UK drivers(or something..bear with me not to technical here:confused: )as the system is probably totally different? Or could I simply rent a card for a month, provided it reached me? Just not sure how this works?
TIA

Comments

• muddyfox470
    Options
    There are some cafes that give you free access when you use their cafe, VIA is a good one :) plus they don't pester you to buy more drinks.

however onto your question, supposedly there is a slight incompatibility between wireless due to different regulations, however you can try it and see and you should be able to buy a PCMCIA card for around £20 if your current wireless in your network doesnt work :)

Ian
    Student Moneysaving Expert :beer:
  • pooy1
    pooy1 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I wasn't very clear.........................without having to visit different hotspots such as Cafe's and bars etc..wanted to use 99% of the time at the place I was renting, therefore don't want to spend extra if I am out of range and wondered how one goes about checking this out and what exactly is the maximum wireless range from a "hotspot"

Thx.
  • christopher
    Options
    Buildings will knacker wireless signals. Expect to get 30/40metres MAX, it all depends on line of sight (you can get more, all about finding the sweet spots).

Maybe you could make a cantenna to boost your signal reception :) (just search for 'Cantenna').

You might also have luck with Fon hotspots, check the Fon site (you can sign up as a user and get free access via the Fon hotspots, people run them from their homes like I do or sometimes shops or cafés will run 'em too) - or go search for "free wifi london". I'm sure there's some wifi networks around that area which are free to access...

If your wireless interface is a/b/g compatible then you should be able to access everything, there's no difference in the standards between the US and the UK. The draft N spec can differ slightly but that's why it's still draft spec :D
    !
  • pooy1
    pooy1 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have a link for fon hotspots.....I will obviously try www etc, and google this, but as in the US, not familiar with this. Thx.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure