Financial Query

Hi All,

Myself and my ex partner separated in 2006, we agreed (not via the courts) but through a solicitor that I would pay support direct to my ex for my 2 children (subject to CSA regulations) until the youngest left full time education.

The CSA guidelines at the time stated that I would pay 20% of my net income each month as I have 2 children, once the eldest left full time education it would reduce to 15% until my youngest left FTE.

My eldest is 18 next year and leaves FTE in the summer, my ex has been in contact to say that he plans to go to university, but will be staying at home due to the cost and therefore expects me to continue to pay the full 20%

I don't believe university is covered by FTE, but I am unclear on the impact him staying at home has on the subject.

Can anyone shed any light on this, obviously i may choose to continue to contribute, but wanted clarity on my position first.

Thanks in advance !


  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2015 at 1:40PM
    CMS guidelines do not include university as far as I know

    here you go:

    For child maintenance purposes, a child is defined as anyone under 16 or someone between 16 and 19 who is:
    • Not, nor has ever been, married or in a civil partnership
    • In full-time, non-advanced education
  • Thanks for this, does anyone else have an opinion?
  • shoe*diva79
    shoe*diva79 Posts: 1,356 Forumite
    The CSA are no longer around, the new scheme administered by the CMS have been in force since 2012.

    As with most schemes, university education has not featured as a trigger for CM. The general rule of thumb is that if child benefit is payable, then CM is payable. CB is not payable for university education.

    Obviously, like you have said, you can continue to contribute to the cost of your offspring. Maybe pay him/her direct and they can sort out 'house keeping' with their mum?
    WYSPECIAL Posts: 621
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    University is not non advanced education so son would no longer fall under remit of CMS/CSA.

    The decision to pay is yours but in theory your sons costs will be less by staying at his Mothers.

    Also think about how much you are currently paying? Has it gone up over the years with pay rises? Check how much you would pay via CMS for the youngest child only. How does it compare to what you currently pay?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards