Does she need his address

Options
My brother split with his girlfriend about 18 months ago it was very sudden (she left him) and he was very hurt by it .

I have had a random message from her asking for his new address to remove him from her credit file and also a text from my brother telling me not to give it to her.

I still talk to her occasionally so really don't like to be put in the middle because they can't get their act together.

My question is does she need his new address to remove him or is she as my brother thinks up to something
First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T

Comments

• gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did they actually have a joint bank account or mortgage?

If a couple is just living together with no joint financial products they will not be financially linked. So unless they had a joint account or mortgage he will not be on her credit report and there is nothing to remove. And if this is the case then I expect she wants it for some other reason.

A "joint credit card" doesn't link a couple, by the way, as these don't really exist. One person has a credit card and may offer an additional card to someone else but that doesn't create a financial association for a credit report.
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 October 2015 at 2:19PM
    Options
    No mortgage they only rented their flat

I don't believe they had a joint account but I'll check with him to be sure.

I don't think they had joint credit cards tbh they both were shocking with money

Just wish he would man up and sort his own stuff out drives me mad I'm his sister not his mother :mad:

Just spoke to him he "thinks" they had a joint account but can't remember this is why he annoys me so irresponsible how can you not know something that simple!
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    Faith177 wrote: »

I don't think they had joint credit cards tbh they both were shocking with money

Just wish he would man up and sort his own stuff out drives me mad I'm his sister not his mother :mad:

Just spoke to him he "thinks" they had a joint account but can't remember this is why he annoys me so irresponsible how can you not know something that simple!
    From years of watching this forum it is amazing just how many people have such an irresponsible and cavalier attitude to their finances. This usually involves conveniently forgetting that they have had a loan or O/D. Together with never keeping any paperwork that might prove their innocence or otherwise when they claim to have paid off money that they owe. It is also usually blamed on youthful naivety.
    In addition, some people just do not want to be helped because it might mean that they have to "man up" and take responsibility for their own actions.
    They seem to be unaware that actions have consequences.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • Rosylee
    Rosylee Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe I am a bit thick but wouldn't it be easier if he checked his own credit files to see if she is linked to him instead. That way he might know whether it's true or not
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've removed a financial link on a credit report due to a joint tenancy and I didn't have to supply any details of the person I was removing.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Faith177 wrote: »

Why are you involving yourself in his stuff? Has he asked you to? Just tell this woman that it's nothing to do with you and that she should contact him directly. If he doesn't want anything to do with her or want her to have his address then you should respect that. It's not your responsibility to sort this out for either of them. You don't have to be in the middle.
  • Faith177
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    Why are you involving yourself in his stuff? Has he asked you to? Just tell this woman that it's nothing to do with you and that she should contact him directly. If he doesn't want anything to do with her or want her to have his address then you should respect that. It's not your responsibility to sort this out for either of them. You don't have to be in the middle.

Because we have a shared link ourselves my mum died in Feb and we now both own the house I live in and I got dragged into it because he wasn't being a grown up and dealing with it apparently she has been asking him for the information for 2 months now so going to me was a last resort. Now I know I'm a bit worried

I'm a bit worried that if there is a debt owing on say an overdraft and they apply for a CCJ or try to claw money back from him they will go for the only asset he has the house and that may have a knock on effect to me?

I told him last night how bad it could get if he choose to ignore her and he's promised me he'll speak to her today.

I asked if he rang the bank and get this he doesn't know who the account was through, what address it was registered to as he doesn't know if they changed it when they moved 3 years ago! Idiot he has annoyed me so much with this

I hadn't thought of him getting a credit report that's a good idea thank you for that
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Equifax don't seem to need the other person's address:
    http://www.thecreditagency.co.uk/equifax/equifax-notice-of-disassociation.pdf

Experian do:
    https://www.experian.com/uk/online-dissassociation-form.html

Noddle you e-mail them:
    https://www.noddle.co.uk/f-a-q

If your brother and his ex had a joint bank account, they will both need to go into a branch together and request that it is closed as both signatures are needed. Once that is done, then go about removing each other from their respective credit files.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Faith177
    Options
    Candyapple wrote: »
    Equifax don't seem to need the other person's address:
    http://www.thecreditagency.co.uk/equifax/equifax-notice-of-disassociation.pdf

Experian do:
    https://www.experian.com/uk/online-dissassociation-form.html

Noddle you e-mail them:
    https://www.noddle.co.uk/f-a-q

If your brother and his ex had a joint bank account, they will both need to go into a branch together and request that it is closed as both signatures are needed. Once that is done, then go about removing each other from their respective credit files.

That will not be at all possible she's in Bristol now and he's still in Glasgow :(

!!!!!! wish they had sorted this all sooner pair of idiots :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure