We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Does every broadband switch incur double charging for a 14 day cancellation period?

I'm a bit confused as to whether this is legal. Utility switches don't work this way?

EE charged my account (£11.60) for a 'cancellation period' (7 jul 2015 to 21 jul 2015). My 1 year contract ended (7 jul 2015) and the service was switched to Sky (3 Jul 2015). EE were probably notified around the 25 Jun 2015. Obviously, it's only £11.60 but it could be a lot more for other people. Do the companies feel entitled to charge this as you can reverse the switch within 14 days of activation?

William

Comments

  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 4,177 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Have you asked for the money back? I know they did this to me on a mobile contract, but I got it back
  • I pre-cancelled the DD so I haven't paid it yet and they referred it to a debt agency. It's not the amount, it's the arrogance of these company executives, they continue doing whatever they think they can get away with. I'll happily pay it if that is the way the industry regulations work, I just find it hard to believe that every switch has a 14 or 30 day overlap of double payment effectively. If they ever want me as a customer again they know what to do?
  • The short answer is EE refunded the cancellation charge. Technically they may have been right as the switch took place 3 days before the minimum contract expired. They still seem to be saying that if you switch after the minimum contract expired, they need 30 days notice or there is a cancellation charge. I'm not sure about the legality? The long answer is below.

    ================================

    Our current Terms and Conditions state the following under Termination
    Rights:

    You can give Us notice to terminate this Agreement, to take effect on or
    after the end of the Minimum Term. However (except as set out in point
    9.3) if, in Our total discretion, We accept notice from You to terminate
    this Agreement within the Minimum Term, You will have to pay Us a
    Cancellation Charge. You can terminate this Agreement without having to
    pay Us a Cancellation Charge after the Minimum Term has ended upon 30
    days notice.

    You can view the link for our Terms and Conditions as below:

    http://ee.co.uk/help/accounts-billing-and-topping-up/terms-and-conditions/ee-terms-and-conditions/broadband--home-phone-EETV-terms/home-network

    We received notification from your new provider for the transfer of the
    landline on 19/06/2015. The transfer completed on 03/07/2015 and this is
    normally when we apply the 14 days notice period, so it should have
    closed 17/07/2015.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 9,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    It is a normal condition once you are out of the minimum time period - I believe some telecom companies only require 7 days notice but others still require 31 days.
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    As far as I know only EE do anything like that. I switched from BT to Zen 3 or 4 days before the end of my contract and I was only charged to the end of my contract.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.