We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Broadband Speed variable

I have done a few speed tests at various times. I find it is variable ranging from as low as 1.5 to as high as 6.5 (I use the phrase as high sparingly).

Any ideas as to why the speeds should vary? And if there is anything that can be done to maintain the higher speeds. My provider is supposed to not slow down the internet speed. I can still use the internet fine at even lowest speed. Only thing that can be challenging to watch are some tv streaming services as can I get buffering. I cannot get Fibre here and do not wish to pay the extra Virgin costs.
Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.

Comments

  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 8,623 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Could just be demand on the Broadband - are there particular times of the day when it is always slow?
    Check the speed with more than one device if you can, and use a cable connection rather than WiFi. Look on SamKnows to get an idea what sort of speed you could expect, but much depends on the actual quality of the line into your property.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.