Stoozing: Make Free Cash from Credit Cards article discussion

Options
1858687888991»

Comments

• alfred64
    alfred64 Posts: 4,991 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends on the length of the 0%. Not much point if it's for 6months but worthwhile if for 24 months or longer
  • JuliusCaesar
    Options
    Some money transfer offers come with 0% fees but with interest, so can be used as 'mule cards' in conjunction with a separate fee-free balance transfer card.

I recently transferred £5000 from my Lloyds credit card to my current account for a 0% fee and 4.9% interest. I immediately did a balance transfer to a newly acquired NatWest balance transfer credit card, which offers fee-free balance transfers at 0% for 19 months, setting the payments at the minimum amount each month, which I can repay from regular income. At worst I might have to pay a day's interest (less than £1) on the Lloyds card. I have now invested the £5000 in a 1-year savings product paying over 5%. I will probably reinvest this in another 6-month savings product when it matures, depending on what is happening to interest rates then, and then pay off the balance transfer card when the interest-free period comes to an end.
  • daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 7 June 2023 at 3:00PM
    Options
    DJDools said:
    Sorry if this sounds a wee bit dumb (I'm definitely having a moment this past week!), but does it make much sense for a person to take out a money transfer at 0% with a money transfer fee of, say, 3% (if a 0% fee CC is not available to that person) if the 'minimum monthly payment' is 2.5% of the 'transferred amount', and the cash is put away in a fixed savings account earning, say, 5%?
    I agree with alfred64 on the time period, also depends on how much you can borrow, whilst for anything 13months plus you can make a profit, if the credit limit is small, say £1.2k, will it be worth the effort? If you can BT £10k+ it won’t take any more effort but will bring in a much higher profit.
  • Wonkyme
    Options
    I've taken 10,000 on my credit  card at  3% over 18 months  so 2% pa and paid it into my mortgage saver at 5% atm so I'm making £450. I think so why are the cards still offering  such cheap rates do the take a chance that you might default payment BTW I never have.
  • datz
    datz Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 June 2023 at 5:57PM
    Options
    Wonkyme said:
    I've taken 10,000 on my credit  card at  3% over 18 months  so 2% pa and paid it into my mortgage saver at 5% atm so I'm making £450. I think so why are the cards still offering  such cheap rates do the take a chance that you might default payment BTW I never have.
    Similar to my situation - the current profitability is just too hard to resist. Most recently took up a 0% MT offer from Barclaycard (20 months, 3% fee) - currently sitting in easy access savings, while I wait on 18 month fixes to continue creeping up. Gives me up to another month before I have to commit.

• RetSol
    RetSol Posts: 531 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    datz said:
    Wonkyme said:
    Similar to my situation - the current profitability is just too hard to resist. Most recently took up a 0% MT offer from Barclaycard (20 months, 3% fee) - currently sitting in easy access savings, while I wait on 18 month fixes to continue creeping up. Gives me up to another month before I have to commit.

Oo-er.  Not in the same league but... 

Barclaycard has offered me, until 30th June, c. 3k MT at a fee of 2.6% until end-June 2024, ie c. 11 months from today.

I am tempted because it will boost my slow stoozing. 

Raisin has a 9-month fix at 5% and I have the Skipton tracker for the remaining period. 

But will the offer improve if I wait until 1st July? 

Do I stick or twist? 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure