We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Horrendous time switching

This is more of a rant than a question but wondered if anyone else has had similar trouble.

Broadband suppliers do not make it easy at all to switch. I'm coming to the end of my contract with BT where if I wanted to stay are going to up my cost. So I shopped around and settled on a good deal from EE for £1 a month plus they'll cover any cancellation charges up to £100 so I thought great.

However a day later BT emailed me and said fine your leaving but you need to now pay us £60 for equipment because I'm cancelling before the contract is up and £10 for the remaining month. So I call EE and ask if the equipment is covered and they say no.

I'm not prepared to pay £60 for something that will go in the bin which also negates the point of switching in the first place. So I'll have to cancel switching now and remain with BT and just pay the extra.

If been calling BT and EE back and fore for the last 2 days trying to get either to move but to no avail. Not worth the hassle

If I try and cancel after my contract is up then I'll also have to pay a £30 cessation fee.

The sting you every which way if you try to leave.

Comments

  • LazyTyper
    LazyTyper Posts: 372 Forumite
    Is your switch-over not taking place to coincide with your minimum term end date?
  • Yes it is. Contract up at end of month. There's an equipment charge this side of the deadline and a cessation charge the other side. Makes it impossible to leave virtually as the charges negate any saving you would have by getting a deal with someone else.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    There won't be a cease charge if you are switching from BT to EE. That would only apply if you were either moving to Virgin, or cancelling your broadband altogether.

    If you are on a deal that finishes though, what you will have to pay is the pro rata cost for how many days you are with BT until your switch.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.