Boiler Timer and TRV's

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
2 replies 543 views
madcookmadcook Forumite
12 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
I have just moved into a house that only has a boiler timer, TRV's and no room thermostat. What is the best way to save energy. Should I set the water boiler temperature to high and use for a short time. Or set to a lower time and run for longer.

Replies

• edited 30 September 2015 at 9:58PM
    matelodavematelodave Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 September 2015 at 9:58PM
    Get a thermostat fitted - a wireless programmable stat will only cost around £50 plus fitting. You can then locate the stat in the best place (usually the living room). Make sure the TRV in the room with the stat is fully open

Running a boiler without an external stat will just keep it hot all the time and the pump will run continuously as there's only the timer to switch it on & off. An external stat will control the pump and if it's wired correctly will also turn the boiler on & off according to demand. Is it a gravity system?
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wall thermostats have been mandatory for a long time, so I assume you have an old system.

If it is the original non-condensing boiler then the water temperature isn't really a factor. Modern condensing boilers are more efficient at lower water temperatures.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals