BT Sport price increase - auto opt in

Hi

Some background, I'm a BT Sport TV only customer I watch it through Sky and the iPad app. In March this year I decided I wasn't watching BT Sport enough to warrant the cost so rang up to cancel. The retentions department convinced me to stay with the promise of a discount that would see me pay £8 a month instead (£13.50 with a £5.50 discount) but would mean I would be signed up for a year on a 12 month contract. I was happy with that seeing as they were getting the Champions league.

Checking my online banking this month and i noticed my BT Sport Bill had almost double from £8 to £15. So rang up to find out why, was told that they had emailed me about this in July stating I had one month to cancel otherwise i would be automatically opted in to the full contract - up until March 16 at the new higher price. Found the email in question after tracking back, I ignored at the time as it looked like an email simply stating that they had the rights to the Champs League which I already knew about, below the signature on the email it did indeed say that I had to cancel within a month otherwise I would be signed up for the new price hike.

So now I'm stuck paying the new higher price until March with no active opt in from myself. Is this legal as I never agreed to pay them £15 a month for 12 months. I have no qualms in seeing out my contract at £8 a month or in just cancelling the service but I don't want to pay this new higher price.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Replies

• edited 30 September 2015 at 5:54PM
    cajefcajef Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 September 2015 at 5:54PM
    How is it not legal, they sent you an email advising you of the increase and with the opportunity to opt out if you did not want to pay it which you ignored, by doing so you agreed to the new price, hardly illegal or their fault.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke. :|
  • Cain84 wrote: »
    So now I'm stuck paying the new higher price until March with no active opt in from myself. Is this legal as I never agreed to pay them £15 a month for 12 months. I have no qualms in seeing out my contract at £8 a month or in just cancelling the service but I don't want to pay this new higher price.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

No it would not be binding if you only agreed to the discounted rate for 6 months, to then be bound for a following X months by simply not declining a new deal.

But, if you look through the initial contract deal are you sure you will not see this automatically renewing contract as part of that agreement?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News