Need advice with used car dealer please

Hi fourm, I need some help please,
I have purchased a Nissan 2.0 tenka diesel 2007 on 98k miles. For 6.5k in February this year. It had a cracked injector 3 months ago repaird under warranty.
This week it failed to select gears,
Garage asked me to return car to garage that done previous repair to get a report on the vehicle.
Turns out the dual mass fly wheel has failed and broken in to bits.
The mechanic said it's mechanical failure.
And the clutch has 60 to 70 / Ware,
Now car garage where I purchased the vehicle is saying this is Ware and tear. And will not cover the £900 cost.
The mechanic has said that is garbage as it has failed not due to wear and tear.
I have phoned citizen advice and told them the situation and they have said to get all the info together and contact the hpi company.
The car has done less than 5.5k miles in 7 months and has roughly £2000 worth of work need doing.
Is there any other course of action I need to be investigating or am I just going to foot the bill.

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Gary33uk wrote: »
    Hi fourm, I need some help please,
    I have purchased a Nissan 2.0 tenka diesel 2007 on 98k miles. For 6.5k in February this year. It had a cracked injector 3 months ago repaird under warranty.
    This week it failed to select gears,
    Garage asked me to return car to garage that done previous repair to get a report on the vehicle.
    Turns out the dual mass fly wheel has failed and broken in to bits.
    The mechanic said it's mechanical failure.
    And the clutch has 60 to 70 / Ware,
    Now car garage where I purchased the vehicle is saying this is Ware and tear. And will not cover the £900 cost.
    The mechanic has said that is garbage as it has failed not due to wear and tear.
    I have phoned citizen advice and told them the situation and they have said to get all the info together and contact the hpi company.
    The car has done less than 5.5k miles in 7 months and has roughly £2000 worth of work need doing.
    Is there any other course of action I need to be investigating or am I just going to foot the bill.

Dual mass flywheels were designed to last the lifetime of the car, but they dont. Typically they last 80-100,000 miles, so yours has done quite well.

Not sure you'll get any satisfaction from the dealer.

Where are you getting £2,000 of repairs from? Surely a cracked injector isnt £1,100?
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    100k miles for a dual mass flywheel is probably about right nowadays. In my experience anything from 80-120k depending on how the car has been driven over its life. They have become standard wear components like a clutch.
  • Hi thanks for the response, the garage has fitted a molded option which was cheaper. If I had like for like with the dual mass fly wheel then it was 1300 with clutch and labour.
  • Citizen advice has told me to contact the finance company as the car come with a one year warranty.
    And was on 98k miles.
    And I have done 5.5 k miles in seven months and the fly wheel isn't being repaird through wear and tear.
    The mechanic reported it has failed along with concentric slave due to clutch fluid from bell housing.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Gary33uk wrote: »
    Citizen advice has told me to contact the finance company as the car come with a one year warranty.

Your rights with the finance company are basically the same as those with the dealer, so contracutal (ie warranty) and legal (sales of goods act).

You need to read the warranty paperwork.
    You need to proof the fault was inherent for the latter remedy.
    And was on 98k miles.
    And I have done 5.5 k miles in seven months and the fly wheel isn't being repaird through wear and tear.
    The mechanic reported it has failed along with concentric slave due to clutch fluid from bell housing.

So the slave cylinder failed and started leaking. Flywheel was collateral...
    Does the service history show the clutch has ever been replaced?
    If not then it could well be wear and tear..
  • I will have a look now
  • There is no evidence of it being changed.
    But the mechanic reported that the clutch is 60/ worn and can be reused as it's in working order. But adviced it to be changed if installing new fly wheel.
    I even offers to pay for a new clutch why the work was being done even the it was still usable
  • Normally the car would come with a 3 month warranty so its going to be difficult to claim off the dealer now unless you can prove it was faulty at point of sale.
  • I have in writing that the car comes with a full 1 year in house warranty which covers any electrical or mechanical failure.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Wear and tear of the DMF is not a sudden failure though. Its like brake pads its an item that wears out over time and replacement at 98k miles is not to be unexpected.

Get a cheaper quote for replacement elsewhere.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure