PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mail Redirection Question

Options
We moved house back in April and have had a mail redirection on for 6 months. We have moved to a completely new area over 100 miles from our previous address.

Last week we got a letter from a National Company (well known opticians) which was a computer printed letter addressed to our new address. NB this was NOT redirected. Now the strange thing is we had never changed our address with the optician as they were based in our previous old town.

I therefore phoned to ask where they had got our new address from. They had absolutely no idea, all their records still showed our old address. They advised they would check with their Head Office.

They have called today to advise that it will have been obtained from Royal Mail as when we completed the mail redirection we would have ticked a box allowing other companies to have our new address???

Well I think for sure we would not have done that as we are both quite careful about ticking boxes. What I also find strange is why would their HO (who have sent out the letter on behalf of the local branch) not use the address in their own records?? I mean come on I have worked for large companies, you write to customers at the address on your own systems, not check for a new address with Royal Mail?? It is not as though they have written to our old address and had mail returned, the redirection is still active so had they written to our old address we would have received it.

Just wondered if anyone has experienced anything like this before.

Thanks
The best things in life are free.....

Comments

• pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sounds like it's just junk mail and nothing to do with the fact the company already had your address on their customer database (as they said they had your old address).

You may or may not have ended up on a junk mail list thanks to Royal Mail. Could have been any company you've given your new address to in the last six months who shares mailing lists (have you always ticked every box carefully?). I doubt you'll get to the bottom of where they got your details from.

If the mailing has small print about how to opt out of future mailings, follow the instructions.
  • Enigmatic_Me
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Pinkteapot (love that user name btw :D)

I should have added in my initial post it wasn't junk mail, it was letters (one for me and one for my hubby) reminding us that our eye test is due.

Since moving (touching wood) we have had no junk mail and no junk calls on the landline which is bliss :)
  • pinkteapot
    Options
    Hmm, just looked at the Royal Mail redirection order form:
    http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/Royal-Mail-Redirection-Application-Form-30-March-2015.pdf

You probably wouldn't have ticked to opt in to marketing communications, but did you opt out to this?
    We can also pass the contact details of everyone whose mail is being redirected to organisations that already know them so they can update their records, helping to reduce the risk of identity theft.
    There’s no extra cost for this. If any of you do not want this free service, please mark an ‘X’ in the box.

On the subject of landline, register your new number with the Telephone Preference Service if you haven't already:
    http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html
    It's free, and official, and opts you out of junk calls. If any UK-based company phones you, you can tell them you're registered with the TPS and they shouldn't have called and you'll find they hang up sharpish. Only thing it doesn't help with is overseas-based dodgy claims lawyers. We've been registered for a few years and get next to no marketing calls.
  • Enigmatic_Me
    Options
    Thanks, I did look at the Royal Mail Redirection form online before I posted and did see that.

It was my hubby who completed the form online and although I cannot guarantee it I would be pretty certain he would have opted out as he is fussier than me when it comes to these things. However as I say, we cannot be 100% certain.

I still think it is strange though even if that is what they have done, why they have gone down that route instead of using the address on their own systems?
  • pinkteapot
    Options
    That I don't know!

I wonder if he stayed opted in to that part because they say it helps with identity fraud (so sounds like a good thing). :)
  • wickesy
    Options
    It sounds like they have outsourced the mailing to a mailing house who have 'cleansed' the data on their mailing list using the NCOA register

http://www.royalmail.com/business/services/marketing/data-optimisation/ncoa-update

It saves them wasting money sending out letters that might bounce back to them. The updated addresses will then be returned to the opticians to update on their system as and when they get round to it.
    Total debt at LBM: £32,340.84
    Total debt now: £0
  • GingerBob_3
    Options
    Do not trust RM Redirect, in fact, don't use them. It's as simple as that. It might seem like a convenient service but it comes with several problematic issues:

They require too much personal data, about everyone in the household. Are you happy to give them your childrens' DoB?

Various government departments have access to the database.

It's highly likely that RM furnish CRAs with your details, and that goes against you on their files as other addresses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure