We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Does this answer the cat problem

Options
2»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,104 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's funny you should suggest a water pistol. Last year I bought one of those huge water pistols that kids use in pools, simply because the conventional type didn't reach far enough. I kept it fully loaded by the back door, but the grandchildren thought it was for them, consequently it was always empty when required.
  • dlb
    dlb Posts: 2,488 Forumite
    Options
    Thought i would let you know we have bought one of the water spray with sensors and my hubby is delighted!!
    No cat poop as of yet, but then again the bloody thing makes me jump so the cats must be scared out their skin!!!
    Got it off ebay at half the price of the garden centres and it will be well worth it as i havent heard my dh moan for days!!
    Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
  • figueroa
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=434057
    This is another thread about cat deterrents. the device you have islandman is fine when you're there to observe the beasties! You can also buy ultrasonic devices that turn on automatically when the cat walks into the garden (in the same way that your outdoor security lights do). I bought from http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/cat-deterrents-c-102.html because they were even cheaper than ebay, believe it or not. There are some potential problems if you or the neighbours have kids (read the thread), although my kids don't seem to have been affected.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,104 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks, I've just read the link. It would appear they're talking about the static type, the one I have is like a handgun. Other than to see what it sounds like, I've only done that once. I used the silent mode, and to repeat myself, I don't need to do that now, I just let the cat see me and it's off. Should I make up a scarecrow and put a photo of myself on it for when we go on holiday?
  • maypole
    maypole Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Someone told me once that he put little containers ( foil cup cake holders ) of household ammonia around his garden and the cats apparently do not like the smell. never tried it myself though
  • dlb
    dlb Posts: 2,488 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/animal-water-spray-repellent-p-294.html?osCsid=51f7672cba260bed4dba712a564613be
    This is the one i got but got it from ebay at only £20 and it is working a treat, dh does his normal early morning rounds on the garden before work and not and cat poop in sight, im amazed how powerful it is and it makes me jump when it goes off never mind the cats!!
    Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport