School fines for being ill or late

Options
foolofbeans
foolofbeans Posts: 385 Forumite
edited 29 September 2015 at 1:15PM in Marriage, relationships & families
I received a letter from primary school stating a penalty notice will now be issued if my child's attendance falls below 95%.
The letter said that as my child only managed 88% attendance last year we are being closely monitored :eek:
I was a bit miffed and spoke to the school secretary as my child wasn't 5 until the end of the year and legally didn't have to attend much of last year anyway. Additionally child was ill quite a lot and I didn't think it right to send them and pass the bugs around. Child has already been ill this term and missed a day so we're on the slippery slope.
Secretary pointed out that lateness counts as an absence and I must admit I am guilty of this but have only missed registration 3 times so that wouldn't equate to much of the 12% absence.
I've now got loads of questions such as when does a day off for illness get authorised? Or will it always remain unauthorised? How much of the time off was when being educated wasn't mandatory?
I'd like to ask the school for further information on how they got to 88% attendance and how many times was child marked as absent due to lateness but I don't want to create unnecessary work for the secretary and I don't want to be seen as a nuisance when I'm probably classed as one of the bad parents due to habitual lateness.
Should I just pull my socks up, make sure child gets to school on time and hope they never get ill? Or should I ask the questions?

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    I received a letter from primary school stating a penalty notice will now be issued if my child's attendance falls below 95%. - Can you post the exact wording?
    The letter said that as my child only managed 88% attendance last year we are being closely monitored :eek:
    I was a bit miffed and spoke to the school secretary as my child wasn't 5 until the end of the year and legally didn't have to attend much of last year anyway. - Put it in writing. This isn't a verbal argument to have with an admin person.
    Additionally child was ill quite a lot and I didn't think it right to send them and pass the bugs around. - Absolutely right. Child has already been ill this term and missed a day so we're on the slippery slope.
    Secretary pointed out that lateness counts as an absence - Ask for clarification. Lateness is not an absence. But it can be classed as failing to ensure the child attends school and I must admit I am guilty of this but have only missed registration 3 times so that wouldn't equate to much of the 12% absence.
    I've now got loads of questions such as when does a day off for illness get authorised? - When you inform the school the child is too ill to attend. If the illness is serious, the school may ask for a GPs note. Or will it always remain unauthorised? How much of the time off was when being educated wasn't mandatory? - Ask them
    I'd like to ask the school for further information on how they got to 88% attendance and how many times was child marked as absent due to lateness but I don't want to create unnecessary work for the secretary and I don't want to be seen as a nuisance when I'm probably classed as one of the bad parents due to habitual lateness. - Would you accept bad service elsewhere? Better the school thinks you know what you're doing, than thinking you're a pushover.
    Should I just pull my socks up, make sure child gets to school on time and hope they never get ill? Or should I ask the questions?

What you should do is ask the school for the attendance record for your child for the year 2014/15.

Make it clear that if necessary you will make a Subject Access Request.

The school cannot issue fines for medical absences.

As for creating work for the secretary - this is her job.

And yes try make sure he/she gets there on time.
  • carolwat
    Options
    What you should actually do is get your butt into gear and get your kid to school on time. Its not as though it starts at some unearthly hour, around 8:50 - 9am isnt that hard to achieve so instead of creating more work for anyone or facing threats of fines avoid it all by setting your kid a good example and be on time.
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    Well I think you could ask your questions, but I also think you should be aware of making sure your child gets to school on time.

You say child has only missed registration 3 times this term, but they only returned to school at the beginning of September so that is quite a lot.

I think you should make an effort in the morning, other children notice these things, and if the teacher singles your child out so might the classmates for some unwanted attention.

Try to organise everything the night before i.e. clean clothes, school bag and put the bowls on the table for breakfast. They are only little things but will save you a few minutes in the morning and set your alarm for 10 minutes earlier.

As for illness well young children will have to have time off when they first start school if they have something contagious, but phone the school straight away and tell them.

Good luck

Candlelightx
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Being late is classed as absence.

I remember the first year my son attended school, he never missed a day but the end of year report stated he was absent for a total of 1 week. I ran to question this thinking it was just a mistake but was told that the times he was late were counted as absent. I remember saying ok then next time we are going to be late I wont bring him he might as well stay at home as we still get the same attendance mark, the secretary didn't have a reply :rotfl: (of course I wouldn't actually have done that)
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As a form tutor, I have to monitor lateness and illness very carefully - it is a slippery slope to doing badly in school later on. We find lots of children who are "ill" are perhaps milking it and not ill enough to be off school! A little sniffle does not require a day off school!!

Those who are always on time and rarely off ill tend* to do better.

(*obviously there are always exceptions to this before anyone jumps on the band wagon...)

It is your DUTY as a parent to make sure your child turns up to school on time, and 3 lates for a child in reception is pretty poor!!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • foolofbeans
    Options
    carolwat wrote: »
    What you should actually do is get your butt into gear and get your kid to school on time. Its not as though it starts at some unearthly hour, around 8:50 - 9am isnt that hard to achieve so instead of creating more work for anyone or facing threats of fines avoid it all by setting your kid a good example and be on time.
    You're right of course :o
    In my defence I do actually get the child to school before 9am but I do realise I cut it fine some days. There is a school bus which regularly arrives after I have dropped child off and so all those children will be late I imagine (and potentially garnering fines?)
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 29 September 2015 at 2:45PM
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    As a form tutor, I have to monitor lateness and illness very carefully - it is a slippery slope to doing badly in school later on. We find lots of children who are "ill" are perhaps milking it and not ill enough to be off school! A little sniffle does not require a day off school!!

Those who are always on time and rarely off ill tend* to do better.

(*obviously there are always exceptions to this before anyone jumps on the band wagon...)

It is your DUTY as a parent to make sure your child turns up to school on time, and 3 lates for a child in reception is pretty poor!!

I totally understand lateness should not be tolerated but do not feel it should not be given the same 'punishment' as an absence, surely it is better to turn up 5 minutes late than not at all? Maybe a system of 3 lates = one absence or something like that would be fairer.

Also I think the reception children should be given more leeway, it is difficult to get a child to school in that first year (i remember it well, sometimes having to carry him kicking and screaming in) Once they start KS2 then lateness should not be tolerated at all (unless there is a genuine reason).

I split up with my sons dad when he was in year 1. I remember telling the head teacher that he tended to get upset in the mornings due to this, however I would always bring him to school (he had to understand he needed to go) I was just letting him know we might be late on a few occasions. The headmaster thanked me for letting him know but said there was nothing he could do any lateness would still be marked down :( I was lucky that my son was never ill that year otherwise his absence might have dropped below the level (even though he never missed a day of school)
  • foolofbeans
    Options
    You say child has only missed registration 3 times this term, but they only returned to school at the beginning of September so that is quite a lot. Candlelightx
    Oh no...the missed registrations were for the whole of last school year and I hold my hands up to that as I am ashamed of myself for it.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    As Guest 101 says, ask for a copy of the attendance record - this should show what has been marked in for each day, so you can see what the absences relate to.

It's worht bearing in mind that having childrne turn up late doesn't just affect that child, it is also disruptive to the class as the teacher may have to repeat explanations, take longer getting eveyone settled etc.

Genuine sickness is f course a different matter and I competely agree that it is better to keep a child off school is they are really unwell, but I would expect that then to be an authorised absence.
    Schools do keep track of this - quite apart from eveything else, chronic lateness can be an indication of a chaotic or disrupted home life and can flag up other welfare concerns - not saying that that is the case in your case, but the two things often go together.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • UKSBD
    UKSBD Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A couple of years ago my daughter was having all sorts of problems with her periods, fainting in school, generally unwell and her attendance dropped to 85% - 90% for 2 or 3 terms.

We were called in to a meeting with the truancy officer (or whatever technical name they have now)

We discussed the problem and the advice she gave was
    It doesn't matter how ill she is, bring her in to sign the register, then just take her back home again.

Basically, it was just a numbers game, if her attendance % increased the meeting with truancy officer was seen as being worthwhile and it took my daughter out of their concern.

I was sat there with head of year as this was said, he said nothing, I just wish I had pulled them up about it at the time as it's obvious they were more concerned about the numbers than my daughter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure