We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:
Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour.

Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Logistics for a family move re school

24

Comments

  • clint_S
    clint_S Posts: 366 Forumite
    We were assigned a place before completion, although this was a new build, we didn't even live in the same Local authority. We simply spoke to the school and advised that we were moving into the area and had exchanged but didn't have a completion date. The school advised that as soon as we had an estimated date put the paper work in and they would hold a place until then.


    The school had a date they wanted her to start and was pushing for that date, even willing to send a taxi 20 miles to pick her up!!
  • Maybe different councils have slightly different rules. It would be better if they could provisionally hold your place after you exchange for 21 days.

    Maybe ring up the school you want, or local council and see what their system is.
  • We already owned the house we were moving to (was our rental property). We were told that proof of ownership was irrelevant, they wanted proof of residency before they'd allocate a place, "ownership doesn't prove anything, anyone can own any number of properties, it doesn't mean they live there" was what they said to us.

    The whole thing was an absolute nightmare. We decided to move back in Feb, a few weeks after the reception place application deadline.

    Our plan was to move in the summer hols so kids could finish out the year at nursery.

    Contacted admissions at new town, told them the situation and they said to apply through them and they'd process us with everyone else, which we did.

    They then changed their mind and said as we were still living in old town, we needed to apply through them instead, which we did.

    Fast forward to April and when everyone else got their letters, we got nothing. Phoned them up to be told "oh, we've done nothing with your application as you don't live here yet, you need to wait till you've moved and then submit an in year application and go on the waiting lists". Fuming

    I explained we owned the house and planned to move in summer and we got the "ownership is irrelevant" bit.

    So, we brought the move forward, took the kids out of nursery, and off we went.

    Of course there were no nursery places anywhere for that last half term, so both kids had no where to go from beginning of June till a couple of weeks ago.

    We chose our 3 schools and were allocated our 3rd choice just before summer hols, not ideal as we live in a different secondary school catchment to most of the other kids that will go to that primary, so our kids would lose all their friends when they transfer.

    Then, during summer, it was announced that the council were closing the road between where we live and the school, for 6 months, possibly permanently. The long diversion would be a nightmare of traffic, its bad now, with the closure it will be chaos and they'd be no way to get my son through it all to school and then back again to near home in 30mins to get daughter to her nursery.

    So we rang up admissions and got the lad put back on the waiting list for our first and second choice schools, but were told we wouldn't hear till the schools went back as each school manages their own waiting list.

    Thankfully, first week back and we got a call offering a place at our second choice and he could start reception the following week with all the other reception kids.

    Phew, sorted, only took 7 month to sort out, but now all good and he's happy at his first school

    Brighty
  • Brighty wrote: »
    We already owned the house we were moving to (was our rental property). We were told that proof of ownership was irrelevant, they wanted proof of residency before they'd allocate a place, "ownership doesn't prove anything, anyone can own any number of properties, it doesn't mean they live there" was what they said to us.

    The whole thing was an absolute nightmare. We decided to move back in Feb, a few weeks after the reception place application deadline.

    Our plan was to move in the summer hols so kids could finish out the year at nursery.

    Contacted admissions at new town, told them the situation and they said to apply through them and they'd process us with everyone else, which we did.

    They then changed their mind and said as we were still living in old town, we needed to apply through them instead, which we did.

    Fast forward to April and when everyone else got their letters, we got nothing. Phoned them up to be told "oh, we've done nothing with your application as you don't live here yet, you need to wait till you've moved and then submit an in year application and go on the waiting lists". Fuming

    I explained we owned the house and planned to move in summer and we got the "ownership is irrelevant" bit.

    So, we brought the move forward, took the kids out of nursery, and off we went.

    Of course there were no nursery places anywhere for that last half term, so both kids had no where to go from beginning of June till a couple of weeks ago.

    We chose our 3 schools and were allocated our 3rd choice just before summer hols, not ideal as we live in a different secondary school catchment to most of the other kids that will go to that primary, so our kids would lose all their friends when they transfer.

    Then, during summer, it was announced that the council were closing the road between where we live and the school, for 6 months, possibly permanently. The long diversion would be a nightmare of traffic, its bad now, with the closure it will be chaos and they'd be no way to get my son through it all to school and then back again to near home in 30mins to get daughter to her nursery.

    So we rang up admissions and got the lad put back on the waiting list for our first and second choice schools, but were told we wouldn't hear till the schools went back as each school manages their own waiting list.

    Thankfully, first week back and we got a call offering a place at our second choice and he could start reception the following week with all the other reception kids.

    Phew, sorted, only took 7 month to sort out, but now all good and he's happy at his first school

    Brighty


    But none of this is relevant to the OP.
  • I admit i got into a slightly rambling rant, but some of it was relevant to op, some of it is relevant for ainswod in post 8. All of it is a damn site more relevant that your pointless post.
  • Brighty wrote: »
    I admit i got into a slightly rambling rant, but some of it was relevant to op, some of it is relevant for ainswod in post 8. All of it is a damn site more relevant that your pointless post.


    No, my post was factual, you post was rambling on about an issue that does not have any bearing on what the OP asked nor the subsequent question in post 8, again about an in year move.


    You make it sound like it's a big issue, even after you've been told it's an in year move not a reception you still persist in droning on about your issues.


    I accept your apology.
  • LittleMax
    LittleMax Posts: 1,408
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    silvercar wrote: »
    You get offered a place at the nearest school that has places. In some areas that could be fine, in others it may not be the school you want. If you don't like the school offered you go on the waiting list for an in-year place should one become available.

    Don't forget it doesn't have to be your nearest school, there may be more than one school with places, don't forget to also speak to neighbouring authorities too, there maybe a better school with places over the border - depends how far you willing to travel.
  • Jhoney_2
    Jhoney_2 Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    Thank you all.

    Everything has been really helpful, even the pitfalls and dramas info!

    I hope that the thread becomes useful for anyone considering a move with the challenge of school placement.

    The Local Authority in my case is apply online only, phone/email enquiries are no longer accepted. You have to register and provide a postcode with address so no luck until I actually exchange it would appear.

    Still going to try calling a generic reception number and see if that works. It's a bit catch 22 at the moment.

    At least i've been able to get on track as my initial confusion was way off!
  • Jhoney_2
    Jhoney_2 Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    LittleMax wrote: »
    Don't forget it doesn't have to be your nearest school, there may be more than one school with places, don't forget to also speak to neighbouring authorities too, there maybe a better school with places over the border - depends how far you willing to travel.

    My travel distance is somewhat limited by priorities pulling me in two different directions, but there are quite a selection of good primary schools in the area for primary that are in the catchment of my preferred secondary.

    It's whether they are available...
  • LittleMax
    LittleMax Posts: 1,408
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Jhoney wrote: »
    It's whether they are available...

    You never know - don't forget you will be leaving a place in an outstanding school in your old area. Even if there are people on the waiting list, sometimes when they are then contacted their children have settled and suddenly that becomes an outstanding school with a place.

    BTW - are you sure you can only apply online - that sounds like the application process for children starting primary of secondary in September. You can't apply unless you know which schools have places - I would phone them and ask.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.