The NSD 'Shiver Me Timbers' October Pirate Party on the SS 'Swobzedex' Challenge!

marmiterulesok
marmiterulesok Posts: 7,812 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
edited 30 October 2015 at 1:03AM in Debt-free wannabe challenges
October is but days away,and this savvy bunch of nsders have chosen to use this time productively and sail of into the sunset in search of the 'oft spoken about over a roaring fire' nsd treasure chest.
As legend has it,this chest was filled with gold,diamonds,sapphires,rubies and then even more gold and a few golden Crunchie bars. wbq6ti.jpg

Igor's great,great,great uncle Horatio found a map,but,alas,was never able to find the bounty.

Great Great Great Uncle Horatio and his trusted sidekick Hubert the parrot

2qamgps.jpg

The Map

6syphl.jpg

This map now lies in Igor's hot little hands and he is determined to claim what is his....With our help,he dream could come true....

Care to join us?
There's always more room in the Tardis,which will whisk you onto the boat before you can say 'Jack Robinson'!

This will be our home for a month...how exciting!Welcome,yes,a big,warm welcome to the 'SS Swobzedex'!

t0hmva.jpg

Now,there's loads of room on board,but may I remind you that someone will have to share with Hubert,so maybe it's best to hot foot it to speak with the accomodations officer.And that is...oh,Hubert! :rotfl:

I just hope that we don't run into French pastry chefs nbf8k3.jpg villains 2valffk.jpg

or rough seas and hurricanes... 2cqio9c.jpg

Careful now,that was a trick question hehehe.Of course we're not going to be running into hurricanes or rough seas.I hear that the Portsmouth- Isle of Wight route is a picnic....

What's that....we're not going to the Isle of Wight?! :eek:

We have lots of fun activities planned.More of that later...For those of you who are new to the challenge,we are a happy (and some might say mildly insane) bunch doing battle with those retailers - and there’s plenty of temptation out there at the moment. We are seriously committed to saving money, but nobody said it can't be done with a smile on your face - so we organize riotous nights out and gatecrash any function going - all without leaving the comfort of our own imaginations or armchairs!

On a slightly more serious note, we are here to help each other avoid spending for the number of days we feel we can manage to try to take back some control over our hard-earned money. What you class as a "spend'" is entirely your choice; some people will try to shop on the days DD/SO etc are paid, whilst others will not include essentials such as rent. Have a look at the next post from our sponsor (and godmother of this challenge) BigMummaF, this contains some guidelines and ideas for starting you off on the challenge.

It’s amazing how inventive you get when you’re determined NOT to spend - from weird menu ingredients to surprising DIY solutions - but you know what? 99% of the time those wacky ideas work.

Just remember that mentioning the F word (f-a-i-l!) is not allowed,and anyone who dares speak the word which must not be spoken will find himself in a spot of bother with our toothy bouncer Shawnie boy.
ioeyk9.jpg Shawnie boy has a message....'You're in my house now.....',so watch what you say.

If you're new to the forum,click here to read the Intro Guide.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

PS I'm usually a modest lass,but I just have to add that The NSD Challenge is the best of the bunch! ;) :cool: :j

Comments

• marmiterulesok
    edited 22 November 2015 at 11:11AM
    Some helpful suggestions and ideas to follow below from our sponsor and godmother, BigMummaF :A

NO SPEND CHALLENGE.

1. Have a good, long think about what YOU want to include in your Spend & Excluded categories.
    Some of us count everything from Direct Debits & school expenses, while others do not include things like essential Bills or emergency medical costs. If you plan what is or is not a Spend for you now, it will help you decide on a realistic Target.
    2. It is NOT a race!
    We all have very different demands on our time & bank balance, so please do not think you have to buy everything on 1st January & make it last till 31st December! A few of us have been following this Challenge for a long...long...LONG time so have developed plans & ploys to help us along the way wink2.gif
    3. Most important of all, WE..DO..NOT..FAIL!
    Sometimes we can't quite reach our Target, but that is fine :) Everyone knows how Life will try to trip us up, & that is when you will find us here to help you back on to your feet.

OK, an idea of how some of us do things.
    1. What you will or will not include as a 'Spend'.
    Some people are doing other challenges too, & don't include the money spent on those for this one.
    Some will try to shop for other bits on the days their direct debits etc go out of their bank accounts; they're the real hard core of the bunch sport-smiley-003.gif & have been l-o-n-g time NSDers so don't panic :p
    Some won't count those annoying last minute demands from school & collections as you can't plan for them in advance, likewise emergency prescriptions or visits to the vet :(
    Personally speaking & providing I don't buy anything else, I don't count parking for hospital appointments.(..but then I usually do my shopping because I'm already out :whistle:)
    General thoughts on €bay sales is the buyer has paid P&P so no cost to you :D
    2. It takes Time to reach mega-numbers!
    The First suggestion is the first, because a bit of planning will work wonders on your road to your Target. Have a look at thefirst posts each month for a hefty list of other threads that may be of help. For example, there's a few giving ideas for packed lunches so you can avoid standing in the queue at the bakers for 45mins of your lunch hour! A good incentive to tweak your healthy eating & the pounds you save will show in your bank balance AND your waistline action-smiley-076.gif
    It helps to have various 'money pots' for the different costs that happen like Scouts, dinner money, yoga, window cleaner etc etc. The idea is you "spend" all that money in one hit by..:think:..
    let's say **putting the week's bus fares into the pretty coffee jar, Jo's tumble tots [Weds mornings] in the cracked teapot & Ben's £1 coin for the gym locker [Friday lunch] in the pocket of the changing bag, on Tuesdays every week when you've got some change from doing the food shop, so an already spendy day. At least four 'spending days' condensed into one ;) (**mine's jam jars for windows, milkman & a bit towards the bills!)
    3. Any day the money stays in your pocket is a bonus!
    If you look at it as a day you beat the system, you can't help but :j so don't fret it--ENJOY! If nothing else in here, we do manage find something to make us smile :D

We have virtual outings to wonderful places that never cost us a bean :rotfl:New York, Edinburgh & Brighton have been a couple & nargle usually pilots the Tardis but you can use your own transport; my personal favourite has been a sit-on lawn mower borrowed from the cricket club :D The only thing to be aware of is Hubert the donkey who is partial to anything remotely edible but is not yet house-trained :o

And Remember;
    there are no silly questions, so don't be afraid to ask us anything!
  • marmiterulesok
    edited 8 November 2015 at 11:51PM
    Some fab prizes lined up!

1st target Chatting with a mermaid! 18dbh3.jpg

2nd target Relaxing...bliss! 2w5raqa.jpg

3rd target A synchronised swimming lesson from the voles: 345hrad.jpg

4th target a bit of sun! taggg4.jpg

Target exceeded Getting your hands on the treasure! wbq6ti.jpg

Consolation prize Enjoying a drink with the crew! xxe6r.jpg
  • marmiterulesok
    edited 8 November 2015 at 11:56PM
    Post your target and I'll add you to the list!

marmiterulesok 10/10 achieved! 18dbh3.jpg2nd target 15/15 achieved! 2w5raqa.jpg3rd target 18/20 xxe6r.jpg

scotmumof3 12/12 achieved! 18dbh3.jpg2nd target 14/16 xxe6r.jpg

Knit Witch 10/10 achieved! 18dbh3.jpg2nd target 15/15 achieved! 2w5raqa.jpg

3rd target 20/20 achieved! 345hrad.jpg4th target 25/25 achieved! taggg4.jpg

Target exceeded 27/25 achieved! wbq6ti.jpg

Carviscocker 3/20 xxe6r.jpg

Munchin 14/15 xxe6r.jpg

Aphidgirl 6/12 xxe6r.jpg

Seaotter 5/8 xxe6r.jpg

Nargleblast 12/15 xxe6r.jpg

Gem-gem 15/15 achieved! 18dbh3.jpg2nd target 20/20 achieved! 2w5raqa.jpg

3rd target 20/23
    xxe6r.jpg
    zenshi 15/15 achieved! 18dbh3.jpg2nd target 18/18 achieved! 2w5raqa.jpg

BigMummaF 17/18 xxe6r.jpg

Itsa Longshot 23/23 achieved! 18dbh3.jpg

DWhite 7/15 xxe6r.jpg

Moonbeam 9/13 xxe6r.jpg

Stripeyjumpergirl 8/10 xxe6r.jpg

slowlyfading 9/20 xxe6r.jpg

jodles16 8/20 xxe6r.jpg

donna dynamo 8/15 xxe6r.jpg

Samiszel 0/15 xxe6r.jpg

Maybe_its_because 10/12 xxe6r.jpg

Butti 4/10 xxe6r.jpg

fedupandskint 1/20 xxe6r.jpg

Londongirl252 8/10 xxe6r.jpg

craftingmad 12/12 achieved! 18dbh3.jpgTarget exceeded 13/12 achieved! wbq6ti.jpg

cw18 0/15 ?
    xxe6r.jpg
  • marmiterulesok
    edited 12 October 2015 at 8:57AM
    Post your target and I'll add you to the list!

Your fab prize is a lovely basket of fruit - no scurvy on this ship! xo3xcm.jpg

marmiterulesok 4

scotmumof3 3

Knit Witch
    8 xo3xcm.jpg

Carviscocker 3

Munchin 3

Gem-gem 5 xo3xcm.jpg5 xo3xcm.jpg

Samiszel 3

Maybe_its_because 3 xo3xcm.jpg

craftingmad 4
  • Link to September's thread!
  • scotmumof3
    scotmumof3 Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks once again dearest marmite for the shiny new thread :T
    I am off on my jolly holly bobs at the end of the month so I think I will start with 12 NSDs if you please. 3 in a row too please.
    OOOh a treasure hunt how exciting. I will make a great pirate after all I am partial to a tankard of rum. Yes I do mean tankard Igor how dare you insinuate such things ,,,,** Storms off in a huff **
    Debt free as of 29.10.2020 🎉😁
    SPC #73 Feb NSD 0/20
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Starting with my usual 10 and 5 in a row please (and still can't post direct grrrrr)
    Must use my stash up!
  • scotmumof3 wrote: »
    Thanks once again dearest marmite for the shiny new thread :T
    I am off on my jolly holly bobs at the end of the month so I think I will start with 12 NSDs if you please. 3 in a row too please.
    OOOh a treasure hunt how exciting. I will make a great pirate after all I am partial to a tankard of rum. Yes I do mean tankard Igor how dare you insinuate such things ,,,,** Storms off in a huff **

Oh dear,that's scotmum off in a huff already and she's only been back 5 minutes.Operation 'Dissolve valium into rum tankard' T minus 10 seconds.....
    Knit_Witch wrote: »
    Starting with my usual 10 and 5 in a row please (and still can't post direct grrrrr)

Don't you mean 'arrrrr'? :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Im going to go for ✨✨✨20 NSDS and 3 in a row ✨✨
    I am officially debt free! Debt paid: £18,600 Current Savings: Pot 1 £300 //// Pot 2 (premium bonds) £3,800 :T:j
  • Im going to go for ✨✨✨20 NSDS and 3 in a row ✨✨

Ohhhhh,I believe that's called upping the ante!!!!! :T:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family