Software to protect kids online?

Options
Hi,

Recently found my 6 year old "googling" and looking at some unsavoury sites :eek: . Does anyone have any recommendation for any software that I can get/buy so that we can monitor his access?

Thanks.

Comments

• GaryS
    GaryS Posts: 807 Forumite
    Options
    Make sure he is supervised.
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Options
    You can set your google preferences to "Strict" Safe Searching. That will stop Google suggesting many unsavoury sites.

Goto www.google.com, click on prefences, scroll down to Safe Searching Filter, choose STRICT and save the change.

There are also a number of Net Nanny products. The problem with these is they are nearly all from the USA and so you are at the mercy of what the USA classes as unsuitable.

Best idea is to supervise 6YOs on the internet.
  • christopher
    Options
    kawan2 wrote: »
    Hi,

Recently found my 6 year old "googling" and looking at some unsavoury sites :eek: . Does anyone have any recommendation for any software that I can get/buy so that we can monitor his access?

Thanks.

What were they?

.... sweetie sites? :D
    !
  • Ramz_3
    Ramz_3 Posts: 174 Forumite
    Options
    hoopaa.com i think
    its kept in the system tray and it emails you info of what your kids been doing

a bit of an invasion of privacy but its your choice really
  • kawan2
    kawan2 Posts: 323 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Will change the Google settings this evening and make sure an adult is with the little one when he goes online.

Cheers.
  • BritBrat
    BritBrat Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    Options
    Supervise.

Trust me what ever you try and use kids if they want to will find away around it, I know he is only 6 but kids soon learn the in's and out's of tecknology.

Be there with him while online.

With some routers you can setup access times for the different IP's of the computers in the home. That way he can only use it at the times you have set.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure