Paying into and ISA once it has been transferred

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
11 replies 1.4K views
beenym1beenym1 Forumite
5 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
Hi
I am looking to transfer my current ISA to Nationwide. I have been advised by Nationwide that as I have already paid into my ISA this tax year I will not be able to pay into it again until the next tax year, if I transfer if to them.

Is this correct? It seems a bit strange that you are allowed to move your ISA to get better rates, but you can't actually pay anything else into it.
:eek:

Replies

• le_louple_loup Forumite
    4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You will be able to pay into it up to the total allowed for this year. How much did you pay into the original ISA for this tax year?
  • I thought so! I've only paid about £3000, so I have plenty of allowance left.
  • colstencolsten Forumite
    17.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you transfer any of your current tax year's contribution, you must transfer all of them. Once that transfer is complete, you can add additional money, so you can use up your annual allowance.

Nationwide have either given you naff information or you have misunderstood them.
  • I think the former rather than the latter. I quizzed him about it in depth and he couldn't really give me an explanation other than that's the rules.

I was beginning to think I was losing the plot.
  • badger09badger09 Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget to use Nationwide's ISA transfer process though.

The Nationwide ISA isn't a Fixed rate/fixed term product is it? If so, the Nationwide rep could be right as they seem to allow only initial lump sum deposit or transfer in, and no further subscriptions. This isn't uncommon with those types of ISA.
    4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ........ but Nationwide, unlike most others, do allow you to have as many ISA products as you want. So if it is a fixed rate product you are transferring to, you can still add to your ISA by taking another product ... could even be another slug of fixed rate product. (Different account number, different expiry date.)
  • masonicmasonic Forumite
    15.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    badger09 wrote: »
    The Nationwide ISA isn't a Fixed rate/fixed term product is it? If so, the Nationwide rep could be right as they seem to allow only initial lump sum deposit or transfer in, and no further subscriptions. This isn't uncommon with those types of ISA.
    If that is the case, the rep should have pointed out that the rest of the OP's allowance could be paid into a different Nationwide cash ISA.

Edit: Beaten to the punch.
  • jimjamesjimjames Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    masonic wrote: »
    If that is the case, the rep should have pointed out that the rest of the OP's allowance could be paid into a different Nationwide cash ISA.

Edit: Beaten to the punch.
    Or also paid £2500 of it into the Nationwide 5% current account for a better rate.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Nope just a standard ISA, nothing Fixed. It's a bit of a worry that the sales guy is giving duff info before you have even got an account with them.
    4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nationwide do have a different call number specifically for ISAs:
    0800 302011
    But anyway, rest assured that we know more than the call centre operative and you will be able to add to a transferred ISA.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals