TC overpayment include in DRO?

Options
I am paying back a few thousand in overpaid tax credits. I also have about £10K in other debts, and I meet all the other qualifiactions to qualify for a DRO.

My question is please, how can I get all the details about my total amount overpaid from Tax Credits? It does not show up on my credit file.

I have written to Tax credits asking for it, but got a confusing reply.

How can I word the letter, I need to know the exact amount them seem to think I have been over paid in total before I submit my paperwork for my DRO>

Comments

• DorisTrousers
    Options
    Are you currently liaising with an Approved Intermediary?

If so, they can usually unravel the maze for you. If not, and you are sure you qualify, then find one to have a look at it for you.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    What was the reply?
  • Electrum
    Electrum Posts: 218 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2015 at 10:30AM
    Options
    Thanks for the relies, I am all ready to pay the £90 and all paper work finished. Except in my credit report which I have printed out, it isn't showing the tax credit debt.

I have written and written to tax credits, I have phoned up several times now, keep getting passed on to someone else, and even then the person say they cant see the amount on my file.

I have numbers for the last few years, but not this year, they say I have to wait until April 2016.

I need the number right upto the date I submit my application which could be today if I can get the numbers. (well after the 1 Oct which is tomorrow because its over £15K)

Would it be OK if I estimate it? I mean the last few years its supposed to be a couple of grand they paid me too much so they say,. There have been no changes, so if it is consistent then I should be able to estimate how much they say they are overpaying me.

Say if I put down too much, as long as Im still under the £20K total would it matter?
  • wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    Options
    Tax credit overpayment will not be on credit report as it is not a credit debt

Best thing to do is ask HMRC for the full outstanding balance and list that on your application. If they wont give you this, but you have a balance from April and you have been paying it, put down april's balance, as it will only be lower...
  • fatbelly
    Options
    It really is best to get something in writing from them, which is why I asked what their reply was.

They have a habit of trying to wriggle out of the debt being covered by the DRO by saying that no decision had been made to recover it until after the DRO date.

This is from the dro toolkit:
    If it appears that a client may have been overpaid benefit or tax credits but the benefit provider or HMRC haven't decided that the overpayment will be recovered, it isn't a qualifying debt. But if the client wants to include the overpayment in a debt relief order, you could ask the benefit provider, or HMRC for tax credits, to make a decision about whether there is a recoverable overpayment and to confirm this is in writing to the client as soon as possible. You'll need to do this and the decision to recover will have to be made before the DRO application is made.
  • Electrum
    Options
    fatbelly wrote: »
    It really is best to get something in writing from them, which is why I asked what their reply was.

They have a habit of trying to wriggle out of the debt being covered by the DRO by saying that no decision had been made to recover it until after the DRO date.

This is from the dro toolkit:

Thanks for all the replies.

Im still pushing for an accurate number in writting what they say I owe them.

Maybe this is the reason they will not give me what I ask for, they keep on giving me the run around.

I will continue to ask, and eventually using all the replies I get which are very obscure and meaningless, I will try and estimate a number that they say I have been overpaid upto the date I submit ,my application for a DRO.
  • Electrum
    Options
    I finally have an updated letter from tax credits. The figure they say I owe them takes me upto April 2015, Can I estimate this years upto the day I put in the DRO?
  • Electrum
    Options
    Just had a letter saying they will increase the amount they take off my award from November.

I have to get my DRO application in quick, I will just guess the amount they say I owe them.

Will this be acceptable?
  • fatbelly
    Options
    Can you not phone them and ask them straight for a figure?

I know they take ages to answer.

If all else fails then, yes, you will have to estimate a figure
  • Electrum
    Options
    Thanks fatbelly

all done, put the number in, have submitted my entire application, took ages to get everything together, paid £90 at the post office.

nervous and pleased all at the same time,

what happens next, when will I hear from the insolvency office?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure