advice needed concerning water bill

Hi And thanks for reading this post.

I was looking for accommodation and a friend offered me the upper floor of his shop, the ground floor he is using as a chemist shop.

I moved in to the upper floor, fitted in a cooker, fridge, cupboards etc, and was told there would be no water bill as the chemist and the upper floor are on the same supply. I checked this with the stopcock in the cellar which when turned, cut off the supply to the chemist and upper floor simultaneously.

I quickly received a water bill from Yorkshire water and it was addresses to : " The Flat 11 South Street..." The chemist is 11 South Street.

A few months later a debt collector knocked on the door and demanded £600. I was not at home my mother answered the door and the debt collector frightened her with tales of returning with baliffs and smashing the door down and taking everything inside. So she paid the bill which i was not happy about as i do not believe i owe the money.

Can you please advise in anyway as what i should do. What are my rights. Can i get my money back

Thank you. John.

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,034
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Welcome to the forum.

I assume your property has not got a water meter?

As you received a bill as soon as you moved in, it is obvious that the Flat is correctly assessed as a separate dwelling and has a Rateable Value(RV).

Your bill will be based on this RV - which will be shown on the bill - and is payable in advance to the next April. e.g. someone moving in today is liable to pay NOW for the period 21 Sept 2015 to 01 April 2016.

I don't know who told you that being on a single supply means only the shop pays for water. Some older blocks of 30 or more flats have a single supply - do you think that only one flat should pay unmetered water charges and the rest not be liable for water charges?

What you need to do now is check if the bill was accurate and covers your period of residence. It is almost certain that the debt collectors will have added their charges in the £600.

The lesson is that you shouldn't have ignored the bill.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure