OfficialIphoneUnlock WARNING

Options
Alikin
Alikin Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 17 September 2015 at 1:18PM in Mobiles
Hi all,

I am new here, really looking forward to becoming a valid member of this community.

I need to first though start with a cautionary tale. Thinking of getting your iPhone unlocked? Heard good word about OfficialIphoneUnlock? I beg you - don't use them

DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE!

OfficialIphoneUnlock have ignored every single attempt I have made to contact them for a refund for nearly a month...
My phone was rejected as being "blocked and in contract" - which was odd to me because I bought the handset from a genuine Vodafone retailer - without a contract!!!

So I went through the process of using a third party website to have report run on my phone to check if my phone was "in contract" and guess what? My phone has no contract.

Funnily enough OIU wanted me to pay a serious amount of additional money to continue with my order (more money means they could get round my "blocked sim" apparently :T ) which I was not willing to do of course because I knew my phone was definitely not in contract.

It is worth mentioning quickly that I had received ONE automated message stating this info about my phone being blocked and in contract. It was within this very email they stated I was entitled to a full card refund if I provided a proof of purchase.

Naturally I was at this point sure they had just made some mistake and it could be resolved, so I went about the process of emailing them, leaving messages on their support system and even calling their support number which states they only deal with PRE-sale Support queries..which is a bit fishy.. to have no mid sale or after sale support number!!.. .I still had to give it a go though as it was my money at stake here and guess what! The number does not even connect!!!

So after a week or so of no replied I set about getting together my proof of purchase, I sent it over and guess what! They have ignored me, every single time. They even delete my Facebook comments. Additionally I have tried to message them privately on Facebook to which some blunt recipient told me once - their support team will reply. Since then, my messages show up as "seen" on Facebook but no reply - NOTHING!

I am now having to go through the process of trying to claim ChargeBack with my bank...

I have also just noticed that OIU have reported my negative but honest reviews on review websites - I wonder why!

Now I am sure a lot of wiser people will be quick to say I was naive to trust them and yeah I sure was! I will not deny that, I was stupid for believing the other positive reviews online and the general appeal of their website etc.

I have learnt the hard way and just want to spread the word!

Whether you have taken the time to read this or not, whoever is out there, who may be considering using them - Listen - Do not use these people.

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Such warnings fall on death ears. Like you, most people fail to do even basic research before parting with their hard earned cash.

Even if you search just this board for 'OfficialIphoneUnlock' you'll get 10 results.
    Far more if you use google.
  • sdduk
    sdduk Posts: 1,419 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Alikin wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am new here, really looking forward to becoming a valid member of this community.

I need to first though start with a cautionary tale. Thinking of getting your iPhone unlocked? Heard good word about OfficialIphoneUnlock? I beg you - don't use them

DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE!

OfficialIphoneUnlock have ignored every single attempt I have made to contact them for a refund for nearly a month...
    My phone was rejected as being "blocked and in contract" - which was odd to me because I bought the handset from a genuine Vodafone retailer - without a contract!!!

So I went through the process of using a third party website to have report run on my phone to check if my phone was "in contract" and guess what? My phone has no contract.

Funnily enough OIU wanted me to pay a serious amount of additional money to continue with my order (more money means they could get round my "blocked sim" apparently :T ) which I was not willing to do of course because I knew my phone was definitely not in contract.

It is worth mentioning quickly that I had received ONE automated message stating this info about my phone being blocked and in contract. It was within this very email they stated I was entitled to a full card refund if I provided a proof of purchase.

Naturally I was at this point sure they had just made some mistake and it could be resolved, so I went about the process of emailing them, leaving messages on their support system and even calling their support number which states they only deal with PRE-sale Support queries..which is a bit fishy.. to have no mid sale or after sale support number!!.. .I still had to give it a go though as it was my money at stake here and guess what! The number does not even connect!!!

So after a week or so of no replied I set about getting together my proof of purchase, I sent it over and guess what! They have ignored me, every single time. They even delete my Facebook comments. Additionally I have tried to message them privately on Facebook to which some blunt recipient told me once - their support team will reply. Since then, my messages show up as "seen" on Facebook but no reply - NOTHING!

I am now having to go through the process of trying to claim ChargeBack with my bank...

I have also just noticed that OIU have reported my negative but honest reviews on review websites - I wonder why!

Now I am sure a lot of wiser people will be quick to say I was naive to trust them and yeah I sure was! I will not deny that, I was stupid for believing the other positive reviews online and the general appeal of their website etc.

I have learnt the hard way and just want to spread the word!

Whether you have taken the time to read this or not, whoever is out there, who may be considering using them - Listen - Do not use these people.

Just a small tip when buying from companies like that use Paypal if you have it.
    I had the same sort of problem from another one of them unlocking companies i just opened a case in paypal and was refunded.

your bank may not refund because afaik the purchase as to be over £100 before the bank will make a chargeback.
    Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody, therefore I am Perfect.
    :)
  • grumbler
    edited 19 September 2015 at 6:12PM
    Options
    sdduk wrote: »
    ... afaik the purchase as to be over £100 before the bank will make a chargeback.
    You know this incorrectly.
  • sdduk
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    You know this incorrectly.

I said afaik i was not 100% that's why i said it

So how does it work? because i would like to know

Also there is a difference between credit and debit cards how they work for chargeback.
  • grumbler
    Options
    £100 is the minimum cost covered by Section 75 for credit cards.
    Chargeback works for both debit and credit cards and there is no minimum.

MSE articles:
  • sdduk
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    £100 is the minimum cost covered by Section 75 for credit cards.
    Chargeback works for both debit and credit cards and there is no minimum.

MSE articles:

Thank you for the info didn't know that about debit cards.
    The old saying is true you do learn something new every day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport