Christmas lists?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Special Occasions & Other Celebrations
24 replies 4.1K views

Replies

• My daughters (9,7 and 6) write a list to send to Santa every year. Youngest daughter has had only one thing on her list every time for the last 3 years - a real life giraffe who can come and live in our garden! Last year Santa brought the next best thing which was one of the 5ft Melissa and Doug giraffes - she was thrilled bless her. They also write a thank you letter to Santa every January :rudolf:
  • GettingtherequicklyGettingtherequickly Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    My godson was writing his letter last Christmas and apparently was really concentrating on everything, including spelling. This was no mean achievement for him as he is always up to mischief, however, bless him, he did 'fess up. "I have tried to be good, but it didn't always work, but your probably know that!"

This is the same child who wrote a load of questions to Santa, the year before & was smart enough to keep the paper with the answers to compare the answers with last years questions. His mother nearly had a fit, as dad had answered the questions the year before and she didn't know where he had put the answers when she realised late on Christmas Eve that as dad had fallen asleep after a few drinks, she was going to have to answer them and needed consistent answers. Luckily she got away with some vague answers!
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • My children always write christmas lists to santa it's the most exciting part of christmas! I think Amazon wishlists etc are for older children or adults more so!
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    As adults my family tends to use Amazon wish list for some ideas. But if we have anything specific we tend to tell each other what we want.

I think kids should keep the magic and write actual lists! Also because if you buy a present clicking through the wish list, that item disappears, so if I go into my wishlist and something is missing I know someone's bought that item!
  • kathrynhakathrynha Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    We did the 5 things thing when one year the youngest aged around 4 put 37 things on a list......

My daughter get told that if she puts too much on her list Santa will think she is too greedy and might not give her anything.
    Also if she doesn't get rid of some of her current un-played with toys before Christmas Santa will see them all and decide she has enough already :)
    Zebras rock
  • Mimi_Arc_en_cielMimi_Arc_en_ciel Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah! I remember the days of sitting with the Argos catalogue haha!

I’ve always told my kids that they can write as many things down as they like but that I have to send money to Santa and he will make XX Amount of toys depending on how much money I send. They know they wont get everything they have asked for – but will get something.

DD2 has asked for a pony though…. Have told her Santa can’t “make” ponies…..
    Debts
    Tesco Loan 2.9595% £8,077.80 £2,961.86
    Santander Loan 11.90% - £7,500 £4,922.45
    Sainsburys Balance Transfer 0% - £2,200 £2,063.40
    MBNA Balance Transfer 0% - £2,500 £1,946.14
    Total Debt: £20,277.80 Total Repaid: £8,383.95 Left to pay: £11,893.85
    Debt Free prediction: 1st July 2023
  • CupOfChaiCupOfChai Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    As adults my family tends to use Amazon wish list for some ideas. But if we have anything specific we tend to tell each other what we want.

I think kids should keep the magic and write actual lists! Also because if you buy a present clicking through the wish list, that item disappears, so if I go into my wishlist and something is missing I know someone's bought that item!

I use Amazon wishlists to keep track of things I've seen that I'll want, wait for the price to come down and that sort of thing, but they're not the same as writing a letter to Santa at all.

One year he wrote back! You don't get that with a wishlist! (I was about 28 :o)
  • donnaloudonnalou Forumite
    481 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Before having Children I used to right my list out for my Husband with the name of the shop I wanted it from in order as the shops came up as he walked along the High Street obviously he added a few more presents along the way, oh those were the days! :)
  • bossymoobossymoo Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My 6yr old has already started his "notebook" lol. Every advert he sees, he scuttles off for a pen and his little book haha. He has been reminded that santa can only carry so much... ;)
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • tibawotibawo Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Used to be the Argos catalogue but now the girls decorate and write own list. They start gathering ideas now but these often change before December. They are allowed only ten things though and seemed to have cottoned on that putting iPhone, I watch , iPad as the ten things than they will be disappointed! One of the items is always a book of their choice.

They also get and Xmas eve 'day' box. It used to be opened in the evening and has a family game and dvd, pjs and snacks in. Now it is opened lunch time as grand parents 'bob' in later. They left midnight last year !
    After years of debt and living on the breadline feeling nothing but negative about myself, I am finally feeling that 2019 might be the year I actually get positive about it!
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides