Contract v Sim Free v PAYG

Options
Hi,
I currently have a Moto G on contract from Tesco, the contract expires in January so I am starting to look at what my options are for renewal.

I am a low user, I only need a small number of call minutes and texts per month but I would like to have 500Mb per month at my disposal.

I currently pay £12.50 for my contract which is more than sufficient for my needs.

If I take out a new Tesco contract for the Moto G 3rd Gen it will cost me £14.50 per month for 24 months. ( Same deal as current contract)

I could buy the handset sim free for (I guess) around £150 and then get a sim only deal, but the sim would appear to be £7.50/month and by the time I take into account the handset cost (over 24 months) it still works out at about 13.75 /month but I would have had to have paid upfront for the phone.

So I guess that my best bet would be to go PAYG. The same handset on tesco for payg is £139, but never having had a payg phone before I have a few questions.

Can I port my existing number to a PAYG phone?
When I top up the phone, can I just let the credit run down before I top up again or is there some commitment to top up by a certain amount over a certain period?

How does a top up work with regards to Data? does the top up just get used proportionately on data, calls, and texts?

Sorry if these are very basic questions

Comments

• mobilejunkie
    Options
    Or you could buy the phone and take out a cashback contract which works at free after cashback - provided you know what you're doing. Then you've only paid for a phone.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Keep searching...

Life Mobile - 500 mins, 500 texts and 500Mb data for £5.00.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 September 2015 at 11:38AM
    Options
    Could also check post office mobile.
    £5 250min, 3000 txt, 500MB, 30 days

Can I port my existing number to a PAYG phone?
    Get a free PAYG SIM. Ask PAC from your existing phone company and port it over

When I top up the phone, can I just let the credit run down before I top up again or is there some commitment to top up by a certain amount over a certain period?

You top up when credit run out. You can top up manually or most phone operator would allow you to set up automatic top up.

How does a top up work with regards to Data? does the top up just get used proportionately on data, calls, and texts?
    Buy a bundle. If you are extremely light user, check out Three or Delight mobile
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,071 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 September 2015 at 1:13PM
    Options
    why do you need a new mobile?

the phone you currently have, the Moto G is a very good phone

In January change to Tesco Sim Only £7.50 a month 1 month contract
  • rubble2
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, plenty to consider there
  • Im_just_careful
    Options
    @rubble2

Firstly, get Tesco to unlock your phone.

Secondly, when your Tesco contract is 30 days for expiry (assuming it is 30 days notice) phone them up and ask to terminate the contract and move to SIM only on a 1 month rolling contract.

That should at least save you from overpaying for your current phone.

Then you can pick another deal at your leisure.
  • bob_a_builder
    Options
    Unlock via ebay for a couple of quid

and SIM only no contract - at 1p / MB

Delight Mobile
    Three 1-2-3
  • Obviously_the_best
    Options
    http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/contract-mobile-phones/motorola-moto-g-3rd-generation

That looks like a great deal to me. Talkmobile, 2GB data, 24 months, £12.50 per month plus cashback reducing it to effectively £10.50 per month. You'd be doing well to get a Sim only with that much stuff for £10.50, and you get a great new phone thrown in there as well.

You can get a PAC code from Tesco and keep your same number as well.
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/contract-mobile-phones/motorola-moto-g-3rd-generation

That looks like a great deal to me. Talkmobile, 2GB data, 24 months, £12.50 per month plus cashback reducing it to effectively £10.50 per month. You'd be doing well to get a Sim only with that much stuff for £10.50, and you get a great new phone thrown in there as well.

You can get a PAC code from Tesco and keep your same number as well.

Or you could dispense with the better phone and get the same bundle on a basic Nokia for £3.50 after cashback. Of course, that presumes you know what you're doing and follow all the groundrules. And that the dealer doesn't go bust in the first 19 months of the contract.
  • rubble2
    Options
    Quick update. I have decided to keep my existing phone when the contract ends, I have asked Tesco to unlock my phone which they have done for me FOC.

I have got a free EE sim card to test reception, all looks ok so may well take the Post Office deal shown above (which I believe uses the EE network)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure