Advice about late payments

Options
Hi there. I am writing on behalf of my brother, long story short... he had an accident year ago and he was recovering abroad until now. He totally forgot about paying his credit cards and overdrafts.

Now he is getting back to the UK and we checked his credit report. One overdraft is already defaulted and the debt is sold to Arrow Global LTD. But other accounts are still showing as late payment.

Please could you advice what we can do about those accounts that are with status late payment, i.e. can we prevent them for getting default status? If the payments are late, can he just start making some partial payments towards those account? What if he contact the banks and explain to them that he had an accident, are they going to help him with some repayment plans?

What you will suggest in this situation. Thank you very much in advance. Have a nice day

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 September 2015 at 3:44PM
    Options
    xkpa wrote: »
    he had an accident year ago and he was recovering abroad until now. He totally forgot about paying his credit cards and overdrafts.

Unable to read his mail in all that time?

Speak to Stepchange and ask them to organise a repayment plan with all the lenders concerned.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    If his accident was a year ago, I'm surprised the other accounts haven't all gone to default too - I thought the usual process was 1-6 months late payments recorded then the company would usually send a default notice and the account would be defaulted. Also, have you obtained copies of all 3 of his credit reports and not just 1? The accounts may show as defaulted on some agencies but not others. Equifax, Experian and Call Credit.

As above, contact a debt charity and organise a repayment plan via them.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure