BT Sport through Sky Box...switching to BT

Dan-DanDan-Dan Forumite
5.3K Posts
Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
Hi

We have BT sport at a `deal` of the £13.50 a month , we agreed a new 12 month contract to get that , rather than the £19 odd it was due to go up by

We watch it through SKY......we are coming to the end of our contract with SKY , should the best deal out there be BT , for BB and TV and Phone , how would BT sport work , seeing as that would usually be `free` for BT BB customers?

Thanks
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Replies

• edited 14 September 2015 at 1:11PM
    iniltousiniltous Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 September 2015 at 1:11PM
    Dan-Dan wrote: »
    Hi

We have BT sport at a `deal` of the £13.50 a month , we agreed a new 12 month contract to get that , rather than the £19 odd it was due to go up by

We watch it through SKY......we are coming to the end of our contract with SKY , should the best deal out there be BT , for BB and TV and Phone , how would BT sport work , seeing as that would usually be `free` for BT BB customers?

Thanks

Even if you stop being a paying customer of Sky TV , the Sky box still works as free to air receiver, so you still get some free channels (similar line up to 'freeview' ) and you would still get the BT Sport channels , but unless you pay something to Sky for the PVR functions, you won't be able to record, pause, rewind etc...
    if you are considering BTTV then you could get BT Sport over the internet using the Youview box they supply, I'm not sure if they insist on this or will let you stay on Sky platform , as BT pay Sky for that, obviously if you don't view BT Sport via a Sky box, they don't have to pay Sky, and you would have the PVR functions included on the Youview system
  • Dan-DanDan-Dan Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks , though maybe i wasnt clear , what happens to the £13.50 a month charge ,should i decide to go whole hog and move everything to BT , bearing in mind , if i do that as a new customer , BT Sport is usually free?
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • edited 14 September 2015 at 6:07PM
    iniltousiniltous Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 September 2015 at 6:07PM
    If you become a BT Broadband customer and take BT TV (starting at £5/month I believe ) then you get all the BT Sport channels included , so would save the £13.50 a month you pay to watch BT Sport on the Sky platform, but obviously you would be paying for line and broadband from BT (but saving whatever you pay to your current provider for line and broadband)
    If you didn't want BT TV then it's £5 to upgrade from 'free' BT Sport lite (BT Sport 1) to the full BT Sport package, watchable on Sky or on line, so in some respects £5 to get all BT Sport channels, or £5 to get a Youview box and all the BT Sport channels (and whatever TV channels they include)
    I would think that the 12 month term you have would continue , or possibly be extended to 18 months if you take BTTV, I doubt you would be penalised just for changing the way you view the channels,(Sky to BT) and have to keep paying the £13.50 but I would call them to check
    Someone who is not a BT Broadband customer paying for BT Sport would normally only have to give a months notice the discount you got from £20 to £13 was obviously in exchange for a 12 month deal, but I guess as you ain't leaving them , why would early termination fees apply,
    If they do see it this way it may be they charge you ETC's but apply a credit to your account for the same amount
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    thanks , i`ll check directly with BT then (assuming i like any deals they have at present!)
  • Dan-Dan wrote: »
    Thanks , though maybe i wasnt clear , what happens to the £13.50 a month charge ,should i decide to go whole hog and move everything to BT , bearing in mind , if i do that as a new customer , BT Sport is usually free?

You really need to phone up and ask them because this is not an easy one to call. BT contracts do not always run parallel to each other. It is possible they may insist you keep on with the new contract of £13.50 per month. Free BT Sports channels are actually "Broadband contract-dependent". It is all a bit of a mine-field.

Would be very interested to hear what the outcome is.
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will deffo let you know , to be honest , i cant think many consumers would switch to BT for a TV/BB/Phone package and still pay the £13.50 on top , would make any comparisons detrimental towards going with BT (i would have thought) but as i say , i`ll post back
  • spyhunterspyhunter Forumite
    250 Posts
    ✭✭
    As soon as you sign up to BT for BT broadband and/or BT TV they will add this to the same account number you are currently billed for your BT sport package.
    This will automatically change the BT sport package to either the £5.00 a month for having BT Broadband or Free BT sport for having BT TV.

You won't have to pay any cancellation fees for your current BT sport package even if your within a minimum term as BT see this as an upgrade.
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    OK , thats good to know , thanks spyhunter
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides