IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

A word of warning - yourparkingspace.com

Options
Hi All,

**WARNING: RANT AHEAD!!**

I've struggled to find independent reviews of companies such as yourparkingspace.com, so I figured I'd add a post here, to give some heads up of a negative experience.

I'll be honest up front, there is an element of "well why didn't you just give up" in my grumblings, and am fully anticipating levels of abuse and criticism, but here goes!

I discovered a secure underground parking space to rent via YPS in March, paid the deposit etc, and went, as agreed, to collect the key fob from their office in Bristol - located above kwik-fit, and was "less than professional looking" - no matter, not all companies have super whizzo new offices. However, the real issue was that not only did they not have the keyfob ready, they couldn't even find it! I left empty handed.

They later phoned to say it had been found, and asked me to pop round again - I wasn't happy with trekking across town for a second time, and so reluctantly, they agreed that after the earlier problems, they would deliver it to me at work.

So the next day, I went to park in my numbered space. It was already occupied. I called YPS, and was advised to "park in any empty space". Naturally I had concerns about this, but continued to do so, for several weeks(!) as "my" space was always occupied. I kept calling them to complain, usually not getting my calls returned, and when I did, the same "we've told the landlord" response. Eventually I ran out of luck, and annoyed the owner of the space I parked in - returning to my car to find it blocked in, with a polite, but disgruntled note. This was after 5pm, and of course, no-one was available at YPS. Thankfully the guy was quite decent about it - but the next day YPS were told quite clearly I wanted the situation resolved. Later that day, I found out the problem. It was a good job I'd not left a snotty note on the car in "my" space - YPS had told me the wrong space number! They blamed the landlord, but by now, I was aware of their levels of "professionalism" so I had my doubts. Nonetheless, the problem resolved, I continued with my rental - freely parking in my space without fail.

For the next few months, things were mostly ok... for a few weeks the security gates on the car park didn't work, leaving the cars inside not as secure as they should have been - but I figured this wasn't YPS's fault, and that other people using that car park (as space owners, rather than renters) would have been chasing the landlord over the issue, and of course I had no doubt YPS would have been the proverbial chocolate teapot if I had said anything.

So then came the time to end my agreement. I looked at their website for termination details. 1 months notice required etc etc. All fine, except I'd left it to less than 1 month before I finish working in Bristol. So their response (when it finally came, after multiple emails and calls) was that I would have to pay pro-rata to allow for 1 months notice. While looking for their termination details, I also learned about their "money back satisfaction guarantee" on their website. I emailed them back, suggesting the pro-rata days should be waived in light of the issues I had experienced over the previous months, as a good will gesture, or as a claim under this guarantee.

The response was a straightforward no. No interest in good will gestures, and apparently the guarantee only applies to the first 48hrs of the agreement, to customers cancelling the agreement - but this is not mentioned on their website.

Their website also states that post-agreement it is the renter's responsibility to terminate any standing orders etc. Given that my monthly payments have been taken by them as debit card payments every month, there is nothing for me to cancel. However, given their past displays of professionalism, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they took further payments.... I'll let you guess what my reaction will be in that situation ;)

Please folks - if you are looking to rent a private parking space - go for it, it's a good idea.... But do your research, find a decent company, and avoid yourparkingspace.com like the plague!

I wish I had seen this MSE link before!!!.... http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/cheap-parking-rental - I'll be renting a space again for my new role... but this time with one of the better companies!

Comments

• bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have learned the hard way that continuous card mandates are a bad idea and I will no longer entertain such a method of payment.

Since 2009 you have the right to tell the issuing bank to stop making the payments, so if you don't trust this company to stop claiming the payments you should write to the bank telling them that the mandate is cancelled. Evidently some banks still haven't grasped that they are obliged to stop the payments, but the law is on your side: if you tell the bank to cancel the mandate, and they fail or refuse to do so, you can reclaim any further payments from the bank.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/recurring-payments

I have had success in stopping dodgy companies continuing to charge a card after I asked them to stop by reporting the card lost and getting a replacement with a different number.

Some people will say that the account can continue to be charged in these circumstances and, whilst this may be theoretically true, I have done this on a couple of occasions and it worked flawlessly: the company contacted me to request new card details, I pointed out that I'd already told them to stop the charges so they can get stuffed, and they went away, never to be heard from again.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    What do you expect in the "Rip off Britain"? I have recently experienced appalling service at Argos, British Gas, and with Orange, (I beat them all - eventually), and am about to take the A.A. to the ombudsman.

The decision making seems to have been passed to computers, and most people do not have the time to fight for their rights.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Mike172
    Mike172 Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up, I never forget a name.
    Mike172 vs. UKCPM
    Won:20
    Lost: 0
    Pending: 0
    Times Ghosted: 15
  • nooshin123
    Options
    Don't do it! Unreliable, Irresponsible, unprofessional and will messing you about! First time I used this company and wish I didn't . My dad had a job interview in Birmingham at 9am and we booked the parking space for him( from 8am to 6pm) 3 days in advance to eliminate additional stress of finding parking in a unfamiliar area, just before the interview. We live 3 hours away from Birmingham and don't know the area at all.. As soon as I booked the space, I received the confirmation immediately with the receipt for our payment. This morning my dad left the house at 6 o'clock in the morning as we are living 2 hours away and the interview was at 9am . I couldn't believe it when at 9 o'clock I received a massage on my phone from the company saying "sorry the parking space that you booked is not available anymore. if you want to book again contact us on our phone number !!!" Immediately I tried to call the company back, but it's only voice mail option and no one will ever call you back !!! Don't book with them, specially if you have a important meeting like a job interview!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure